How to get a job as a director....

Landon D. Parks

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
I still don't see, however, why you want to rush, unless you think it's gonna impress the chicks...

Impress the world more like.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in general it takes money to make a good movie. While you may have the best screenplay in the world, chances are it will take money to pay for that car explosion or even simple things like get a crew that knows what there doing.

Are you willing to come and DP my feture for free? I doubt it.

Sure I can make a good movie with no money, but for it to be great, money needs to be put into it.

This is where experience and maturity is the best teacher.

A great movie comes from a great script, a great cast, and a great director. It is not about car explosions or even glossy production values. It is about a great story told well, by both the cast and the director - and there is an inexorable connecton between those things. A great director is one who can inspire the cast (a cast chosen by that director, and chosen carerfully) in ways that help them to bring the characters in that great script to life in ways not possible without that collaboration. The director uses a knowledge of human nature, a deep understanding of character and story, a unique vision in terms of visual storytelling, and, yes, a lot of life experience and psychology to help lift those around him/her to do their best work and to see things in the script that are not obvious. Directing is about nuance and knowing how to push the right buttons in terms of audience response. It is about knowing exactly the right tone to hit in each and every line of each and every scene, and knowing enough about human response and, in particular, the specific responses of the actors, to be able to achieve that tone. It is about knowing how to get the actor to become that character and bring their own talents to giving it life, and being able to collaborate with them so that their questions, and even more importantly, their fears, are answered and addressed. It is, above all, providing a "safe" environment in which those actors (and the crew) can do what they must at all times.

Notice that nowhere in the preceding paragraph did I say anything about film, video, technical expertise, age, money, or any of the things that you always seem to mention here as being your primary concerns. The upside of being 16 years old is that you have an entire life ahead of you, and that you happen to live at a time when tools are available to do things I couldn't do when I was 16. The downside is that you think you know a lot of things that you simply don't know, and that you believe that technical expertise and knowledge of new tools is the key to success. Except in very, very, very rare cases, it is simply not possible for a person of your age to have enough life experience, or the maturity it takes to have true understanding of human nature, to do all of what I outlined in the above paragraph particularly well, regardless of whatever technical acumen you may or may not have. If you have the talent and vision, you will find outlets for it. But this will come in the natural order of things. Life itself is the best instructor, and rather than trying so hard to convince the adult world that you're smarter than they are, you'd be much better off observing and attempting to understand the motivations of those around you - how people basically work. That's what being a director is all about, that's what storytelling is all about. If what you really want is to direct, at your age, I would strongly suggest that you try to move into directing theater first, because quite frankly, that doesn't require the money you seem to think you need, and it will give you valuable experience and feedback into directing actors, which is something you really need to develop. You'll also begin to realize that transporting an audience into a character's story doesn't necessarily require cameras, locations, editing software, or anything else. It requires a great script, a great cast, and a great director. Does that sound familiar? It should.

Thanks Mike for giving advice! I'm not going to question you, because you have been doing things in the film industry longer than me, so I take it you know a thing or two about it. Just like David Mullen and the rest of the very helpfull people around this board.

But still, miracles do happen. :)

Guest Sean McVeigh
But still, miracles do happen.  :)

So quit arguing about it, and go out and make that miracle happen! (quick! before you have a house, a car, and kids to pay for)

-Sean

PS. as to the earlier comment about "will you come and DP my feature for free": you'd be surprised at the people who would jump at that opportunity... IF the script is great. If you can convince people that your film will be the best film ever made, then they will want to work on it. Either you can pay people to work for you on a crap script, or you can have them line up to work for you with a great script. It's a similar situation if you want to attract investors... they are drawn to the potential for success.

iF the script is great. If you can convince people that your film will be the best film ever made, then they will want to work on it

of ourse if you have a great script that no one can turn down you could probably get Johnny Depp for free... But still thats a big "IF" the script will be that good. IM NO SCREENWRITER, so it would be up to who ever I hire to write a good screenplay.

Maybee If I can get a great writer, someone who I know will write the best script ever, then I would put more weight on the possibility of people lining up to work for free, but until I have this "Grand" script in my hand, I'll hold off on getting my hopes up.

Anyway, Lets just wait and see... As David said, I think im makeing a mistake putting a time limit on success... If it happends it will happen, if it don't, at least it would have been a fun ride.

• Premium Member

I have shot for free on many occasions when a few things were covered:

A great script

A great director (even first time directors give off a certain aura when they are good)

They will at least get me the equipment I want to do the job right

They will pay my crew

- If they can?t, they either need to find a crew, or if some of my guys want to come out, they will pay for their gas.

The schedule is reasonable

And the shoot days are CONSECUTIVE

- I will not give you my weekends for 4 weeks.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I must agree with David here - the more I shoot, the less I know, really. The world expands as you live it, for some maniacal reason. I'm sure I'm going to die with a lot more unanswered questions than I ever had. Hell, even my remarks on this board when I first came here in 1997-1998 reeked of swaggering confidence, but very little experience. I'd hardly call myself experienced today, but moreso than then - I've mellowed much over the years and you'll find I mostly answer specific posts these days.

Youthful drive is good - just use it to produce. That's all that matters.

TSM

"no "adult" like you will ever take that away from us because you feel the need to help US based on YOUR f'd up life, your egocentrical stupid and tiresome mistakes, your lack of taste and creativity and your INSATIABLE LUST for other people to feel bad so it'll make you look like "that older, wise experienced guy" you believe yourself to be.."

All I can say is that one day some where you and I are going to meet in the film industry (if you flipping burgers counts as the film industry) and by then you had better have some serious credits under your belt and I hope by then every one has heard of the incredible, famous, Oscar winning, Jonathan Spear!

And to your second in command of the forum, Daniel J. Ashley-Smith of Kent, England. We'd all better see some pretty impressive credits by the time you're 22, or younger, to back up your bravado.

I have more awards on the shelf than either of you two "kid wonders" will win in 10 life times.

Richard

PS: Lord Daniel J. Ashley-Smith of Kent England don't get me started on grammar and spelling, you had better be perfect in all of your posts. You can start by correcting your buddy TSM, what the hell is "egocentrical?"

No such word!

Maybee he was trying to say:

Egocentric!

Main Entry: ego·cen·tric

Pronunciation: "E-gO-'sen-trik also "e-

Function: adjective

1 : concerned with the individual rather than society

2 : taking the ego as the starting point in philosophy

3 a : limited in outlook or concern to one's own activities or needs b : SELF-CENTERED, SELFISH

But, I dont know for sure.

you had better be perfect in all of your posts

I'm not trying to prove anything, unlike you, so as long as my posts can be understood correctly I have no problem.

I have more awards on the shelf than either of you two "kid wonders" will win in 10 life times.

Seriously how old are you? Because you sound like a 12 year old. You are WAY too arrogant. Hey did anyone tell you that I'm shooting a new TV series? I'd like to know what you did at 16. I'll guarantee you now that I'll become a more successful DP than you.

And to your second in command of the forum, Daniel J. Ashley-Smith of Kent, England.  We'd all better see some pretty impressive credits by the time you're 22, or younger, to back up your bravado.

I'm already working on them. (Just because you didn't get anywhere doesn't mean everyone else won't, oh and ask yourself why whilst your at it)

PS: Lord Daniel J. Ashley-Smith of Kent England don't get me started on grammar and spelling, you had better be perfect in all of your posts. You can start by correcting your buddy TSM, what the hell is "egocentrical?"

No such word!

Well if you don't have the brain power to work out what he means then your worse than I thought.

Do you honestly think I'm going to take this kind of crap? From looking at your posts I'd be surprised if you were even IN the film industry.

Seriously, haven't you go anything better to do than boast and attempt to crush young people?s dreams? If not your one sad little man. Get a life.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Not that im trying to stick up for daniel, but Mr. Boddington.... How many Tv series have you done? Im interested to know. And also these "Awards" yhou have, please tell me what they are and why we "Kids" are so apt to not get any awards...

Thanks you,

landlon

Mr Boddington, your almost as annoying as me.... Im sure others would agree.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

"Do you honestly think I'm going to take this kind of crap? From looking at your posts I'd be surprised if you were even IN the film industry."

Lord Daniel J. Ashley-Smith of Kent England.

You're just a little pisser.

The only thing I am embarrassed about is that I spent a second of my time engaging a complete twit like your self.

Go off and have your delusions of grandeur.

Richard

Guest Sean McVeigh
Anyway, Lets just wait and see... As David said, I think im makeing a mistake putting a time limit on success... If it happends it will happen, if it don't, at least it would have been a fun ride.

I read an interesting book last year titled "My First Movie" (google for it). You might want to check it out. It comprised interviews with 20 directors about their experiences on their first feature films. Might lend some perspective? Ang Lee's story comes to mind when you mention "putting a time limit on success". I believe he had to try for 7 (?) years or so before he got tapped for a feature.

Kevin Smith was also in there, so that provides the exact opposite story.

-Sean

I have read a similare book called "How 20 feature film directors got there start". While it was very interesting, I found it to comprise of the older filmmaking generation.

I imagine breaking into the industry has changed some since the 1940's, lol.

Still an interesting book to read.

P.S) I put an order in for "my first movie" on amazon.

The only thing I am embarrassed about is that I spent a second of my time engaging a complete twit like your self.

Richard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eh.

never mind.

"Do you honestly think I'm going to take this kind of crap? From looking at your posts I'd be surprised if you were even IN the film industry."

Richard

Oh forget it. You?re not even worth arguing with, you can't even keep a debate sensible, what hope do you have.

Landon D. Parks,

You want to see some awards I've won, fine, click below.

Awards Shot

Each one is for a TV show that has been broadcast in the USA, Canada, or both.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Richard

Landon D. Parks,

You want to see some awards I've won, fine, click below.

Awards Shot

Each one is for a TV show that has been broadcast in the USA, Canada, or both.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Richard

And that gives you the right to start coming on to boards boasting about them and being offensive to others?

Oh and this really isn't the place to start boasting a few bits of tin, considering there are others here that are far more successful and knowledgeable than you.

Lord Ashley-Smith,

For starters, you had earlier pointed out that I "apparently" had some spelling & grammatical errors in my post. Now it seems that you are the one that can not spell or use grammar.

"Your a social rhetard with the little man syndrome."

The "your" you want to use is "you're". But that's not the funny part, you can't even spell "retard"!! Where in the heck do you get the "h" from!

Here's some advice boy wonder...before you call some one a retard you had better learn how to spell it, or you look like one!!

Boasting about a few bits of tin eh? Well boy genius when and if you ever accomplish any thing at the professional level, then you can talk. You are incredibly arrogant for a kid, at least I have some thing backing me up, you have nothing.

As for others having professional accomplishments, I never said any thing about other people's work, and I am well aware of the impressive resumes behind many people on this forum. I don't need to hear it from the likes of you.

Now get back into kindergarten and learn your ABCs!!

Richard

Guest Frank Gossimier

I have to admit that is pretty funny how Daniel J. Ashley-Smith calls some one a retard in a public forum, and manages to not be able to spell "retard." :D

Unless that's some bizarre British spelling of the word we are not aware of?

Frank

But that's not the funny part, you can't even spell "retard"!! Where in the heck do you get the "h" from!

It's called a typing mistake. Idiot.

As for others having professional accomplishments, I never said any thing about other people's work, and I am well aware of the impressive resumes behind many people on this forum. I don't need to hear it from the likes of you.

Then doesn't it deem upon you, NOT to boast? If I want to be impressed I'll just spend 5 minutes looking at some of the other DP's work on this board. Oh and it shouldn't matter if the person you are speaking to is a professional/experienced or whatever, you should treat everyone with respect. (You ever learn morals or manners?)

Boasting about a few bits of tin eh? Well boy genius when and if you ever accomplish any thing at the professional level, then you can talk. You are incredibly arrogant for a kid, at least I have some thing backing me up, you have nothing.

Your being arrogant, and your an experienced DP, shouldn't you have gotten past that stage by now? I'm not sure what you mean by myself being arrogant, what suggests that? The fact that I won't take crap of an experienced DP? I'll listen, but when you start being offensive, that draws the line. Experienced or not, if someone is rude to me I will refuse to listen or treat them with any respect. And besides that it's not as though you were contributing anything, so there?s nothing to listen to anyway.

No your right I can't back myself up with much fantastic work right now, but unlike you I'm not trying to prove anything, so I don't need to. I have a few good pieces, but either way I know you would only say they were crap to spite me so I wouldn't even bother posting them.

Now get back into kindergarten and learn your ABCs!!

Go back to your little corner admiring your pretty tin.

You?re arrogant, boasting, being offensive; you honestly don't have a clue. Your one of those people who disrespects others on set because they haven't had as much experience or because they are younger. Out of interest, do you have any friends?