Phonetic Alphabet

Can some list the full phonetic alphabet that is most commonly used in film slating. Im aware there can be many variations. I have typically used thr military version (alpha bravo charlie delta) but have noticed many film people think Im making it up out, when it has just never been an issue before. Since it is one now, I figure i ought to learn at one of the morr tradituonal ones foe the industry.

It really doesn't matter much. I've run into a bunch of scripties who do military ones like bravo and tango, but I think almost everyone says "Mary" and "Nancy". There is sort of an unwritten movieland alphabet here in LA, but it's mostly name based and much of it is interchangeable with the military version without getting a funny look

The alphabet I normally end up using is this;

Apple

Baker

Charlie

Delta

Echo

Foxtrot

George

Hotel

Jackson

Kilo

Lima

Mary

Nancy

Peter

Quincy

Romeo

Sam (sometimes when S is used)

Tango

Uniform

Victor

Whiskey

X-ray

It's pretty much just military and movie-land's mixed, but whatever you get used to totally depends on the script supervisor that you're with. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not a super important thing, but if the funny looks bother you, then try using "edward" or "frank" instead :P. Also if you haven't already, watch this:

Im amazed how many setups there were for some of those scenes. One got up to "Fritz Lang"... Really??? Lol. That's amazing

• 2 months later...

That's a great video from Inglourius Basterds.

Most people don't mind if you have a little fun with the letters but some do. You'll feel this out quickly. Generally I used the standard Apple, Baker, Charlie, but on one shoot there were so many set ups it was the first time I got into double letters. I remember one I used was 'American Yeti' everyone cracked up and they had to stop the camera. After that I just stayed safe.

So, there's no real rule of thumb, just so long as people understand what letters they are when heard verbally.

Atoz - Great name for a librarian :-) - AnTYproton - Android

Brahms *hot stuff!* - Binar

Cestus [iII] - Constellation - Constitution - Cochran

Dravidian or Decker or Disruptor - Doomsday or Daystrom (You are Great, I am great!) - Daystar or Delta used in TNG for *their* alphabet

Exeter - ENTER-prise (stress important)

Ferengi - Forty-seven - Finney

Guinan - Giotto (Lt. Commander) - Gorn

Hugh (:-) ) - Horta

Ilia - Impulse

Jupiter [station]

Kohms - Ko[o]r - Kligon - Krag - Kirk

Lamda [Field Generation] - Lore

M-5 - Mordok - Minuet - Mugato

Neutral - Nanite

Organia

Phage - Polarity - Phaser

Q is just Q :-) - or Quasar the episode where they didn't understand that Quasars ARE galaxies, not in galaxies

Rigel [Colony]

Starbase - Stardate - Spock - Sta[o?}hn

Tribble - T'Pel - T'Pau - T'Pring - Telepath - Troi - Three-D Chess - Tiberius

Uhura

V'ger - Vash

Wix - Warp - Worf - Washburn

Xindi (even though Enterprise SUCKS)

Yang

Zefram - Zone - Z particle

What do I win, what do I win?

• Premium Member

Most people don't mind if you have a little fun with the letters .....

Yeah, in the olden days we usually would have fun with the letters, just make up stuff related to the content of the scene. Then the sound guys invented the little slate mike, and pre-slating on the tape to save film. The AC's merely said "marker". I guess with digital that stopped working, so they went back to having the 2nd. read the slate.

-- J.S.

Thanks for calling me "It" Matt. :(

Haha. No I didn't mean you, I meant the topic itself :P. For the most part though I've only seen 2nd's calling out slates on super duper low budget stuff where maybe the mixer is also the boom op. Most sound guys will say it into a mic themselves.

Wow... It went there.

When the conversation goes far enough, production crews often find themselves talking Star Trek. I understand it's the same way in the halls of places like Google and MIT. Remember that the first computer game after checkers and tic-tac-toe was a Star Trek game.

I have a Tri-Dimensional Chess set sitting in my office. Take a look at the window sill in this video. Funny thing is that I's just moved into that office and the place was barren so it's the only decoration in the room. Sad, right?

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/03/07/focus-optics-ruby-14-24-t2-8-zoom-lens/

My excuse was that we needed something for our NAB booth that could show off the use of our HD Scope periscope/borescope system. But that was just an excuse to get AbelCine to buy me one off eBay.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just so you have it (and I tend to use the military/NATO one...can't shake the army in me)

Alpha

Bravo

Charlie

Delta

Echo

Foxtrott

Gulf

Hotel

India

Juliet

Kilo

Lima

Mike

November

Oscar

Popa

Quebec

Romeo

Sierra

Tango

Uniform

VIctor

Whisky

X-Ray

Yankee

Zulu

They are those specifically because when pronounced in line with the guidelines there are no other words that sound similar.

~Marque

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, the US film industry took a drastic turn during and after World War II. A great deal of equipment and language came from the military to Hollywood from those who served. Examples include the phonetic alphabet, the camera dolly, which was originally used to raise bombs onto and into planes, geared heads, from the gun turrets on ships. Interesting isn't it.