Follow Focus Advice

Adam Howden

Hi All,

I've recently set up a Canon 7D kit with lots of additional bits and pieces. However I've run into a problem with the Genus Superior Follow Focus I bought, I'm using my Nikon primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm) via and adapter and essentially I'm running out of room on the 15mm rails for both the follow focus and the Matte Box (Vocas Mb-255). My 80-200mm is obviously fine, as there's lots of room there. So I'm wondering if other people have run into a similar problems and how they solved it.

Are there any decent follow focuses that have thinner profiles?

P.S. I'm using a Zacuto Fast draw kit.

Thanks for your thoughts :-)

It is an unfortunate problem with very short lenses, there simply isn't a lot of room.

I set up my mounting plate so that my camera is kinda hanging over the front a bit. That gives me a tiny bit of room under the camera for the follow focus to slide really close. My particular ff has the gear to one side (I have a d-focus) so for my tiny 50mm pancake lens the ff will only fit on the left side of the camera.

If it's not too heavy, you could attach your matte box to the lens using a threaded adapter instead of the rail mount (I believe all of those particular Nikons are 52mm threads) something like so: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544782-REG/Genus_GL_GAR52_GAR52_52mm_Adapter_Ring.html

I'm sure you probably thought of using a lens hood instead, but if you are using filters or a french flag, it might not be acceptable replacement to the matte box.

Edited by Jason Hinkle

Hey Jason,

Thanks for your response, it's a tricky one when trying to make a stills camera into a movie camera.

I think I've come up with a solution, which is mounting the follow focus upside down on a set of top rails when using the primes. I'm yet to try it but am thinking of running additional 15mm rails either off a cage or off the hot shoe some how.

I'll give an update when I sort it :-)