Questions about purchasing a Mitchell BNCR

Anthony Bono

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I've been working as a low budget slave/gaffer/monkey for the past

five odd years, saving my pennies, eating Ramen noodles and I am

now edging closer to purchasing a 35mm camera.

Happened upon this:

Mitchell BNCR Camera Package

PACKAGE INCLUDES:

(4) 1000 ft. magazines

Crystal motor

CCD flicker-free video assist

20-120 Angenieux zoom lens

Mattebox

Follow focus

Lens light

Battery

Previously owned and maintained by Paramount studios.

Asking price: $9900.00

This is just about in my range. Anybody shot with this guy? I know its big, but

is it PSR BIG? The lens probably isn't so swell, is it? I can upgrade later, but not

for many moons. It's variable speed (up to 120fps) but how consistant? Is the

registration rock steady? Basically, is this a good camera for a first time owner.

Very familiar with Arri BL's, 435, etc. How similar? Any loading issues? What

else should I be concerned with this camera? Is it worth the asking price?

Probably too many questions, but I would like opinions aside from the vendor's.

Enlighten me oh wise men ;) ,

Tony

Edited by Anthony Bono

That all depends what you want to do with it. I've never used one but I've read about them quite a bit.

It's really not the low budget filmmakers' best friend for several reasons. One, it's not only big, which makes it tough to squeeze into small locations, but it weighs over 120 lbs making it impossible to handhold (you need two people to lift it every time you want a shot change). Two, you're getting it with a large, slow zoom lens, and I don't believe it's a very good one. Third, it doesn't come with a tripod - that's a separate item (a dolly/crab is probably a better idea with a camera like that). Fourth, the 1000' magazines are large and only benefit you if you're actually shooting on 1000' loads, if you're sitting on Ramen noodles now you're probably going to be using 200' short ends.

As for reliability I really don't know. If you had something go wrong with it they'd probably have to fabricate the part or cannibalize another BNCR.

I really would think twice before getting this beast.

- G.

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I've been working as a low budget slave/gaffer/monkey for the past

five odd years, saving my pennies, eating Ramen noodles and I am

now edging closer to purchasing a 35mm camera.

Happened upon this:

Mitchell BNCR Camera Package

PACKAGE INCLUDES:

(4) 1000 ft. magazines

Crystal motor

CCD flicker-free video assist

20-120 Angenieux zoom lens

Mattebox

Follow focus

Lens light

Battery

Previously owned and maintained by Paramount studios.

Asking price: $9900.00

This is just about in my range.  Anybody shot with this guy?  I know its big, but

is it PSR BIG?  The lens probably isn't so swell, is it?  I can upgrade later, but not

for many moons.  It's variable speed (up to 120fps) but how consistant?  Is the

registration rock steady?  Basically, is this a good camera for a first time owner.

Very familiar with Arri BL's, 435, etc.  How similar?  Any loading issues?  What

else should I be concerned with this camera?  Is it worth the asking price?

Probably too many questions, but I would like opinions aside from the vendor's.

Enlighten me oh wise men ;) ,

Tony

Based upon your description of the camera, I'm guessing you're referring to the one Visual Products has for sale.

Have you actually seen one of these cameras? They're big. Quite big. If you'll note the films this cam was used for when Paramount owned it, you'll see that it was all work done in studio. If that's all you want it for, it would be a great camera. You're right, regarding the lens though. The Angenieux isn't the greatest. You're not going to get the imagery you'd get with a nice set of primes, which would cost you many times more than the camera. If the lens quality is acceptable, better to take a step up (three times the cost) and go with a more modern camera. I don't think you'd be happy with this one because of its lack of maneuverability.

The people at Visual Products are quite helpful. Talk to Mike Casey and tell him what you want to use the camera for. I believe he'll be honest with you and tell you whether it will suit your needs.

Good luck.

Wow, 120lbs. Definately not the camera I'm looking for.

Although, I'm thinking Lou Ferigno is looking for work. Maybe if

I could get him to operate... I'd just have to make him angry...

Yeah, just came upon it while googling @ 3am.

Thanks for the replies,

Tony

You might get lucky and find an Arri 35BL (maybe even a BL2 or BL3) for 10K

You should check:

Mandy.com

& insyncpubs.com

& there's always Ebay

And Arri 35BL will probably suit your needs much better

It's much more maunevrable than a BNCR (Heck! It only wieght like 35lbs.)

Oh yeah I forgot to say,

check:

cameraspro.com

thepowerbroker.com

& indiewire.com

And I wonder...maybe a S16 camera might also be a suitable option for you...hmm

Anyways Good Luck

• Premium Member
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

It's variable speed (up to 120fps) but how consistant?  Enlighten me oh wise men ;) ,

Tony

The BNCR is NOT FOR HIGH SPEED!

I think the highest safe speed is 36 FPS. Only the Mitchell GC with steel gears and high speed bearings should be run High Speed. It may work for a bit, but not for long. I do know someone who killed a GC trying over 144 FPS. Finally you must oil a GC EVERY take at 100+ FPS!

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

Definately moving on. This is not the camera for me.

I did find a BL (@DuallCam) for roughly the same price, and have also started thinking about S16. Probably going to stick w/ Arri's. Much more familiar w/them.

Thank you guys for the advice.

I wish I knew about this forum ages ago.

Tony

cinevision-ny.com had a Mitchell for sale. I seen it was only $8,500 and I said wow, Maybee I could one day afford it. When I clicked on the picture I wished I had'nt. The thing screamed 1920's to me. Can you say "Wizard of Oz"? It also screamed HUGE... Heck, the mag was almost bigger than me. :huh:

If you're looking to buy a Mitchell, I would recommend going with Martin Hill in North Carolina, he's an old Mitchell expert with a warehouse full of stuff, probably more Mitchells than anyone on earth. His prices are good, but the gears may be a little dusty...

http://www.martinhill.com/Cameras.htm

He doesn't update his site very often, so it would be best to call him- he's got a lot of things that aren't on the site, including some Arri gear.

What do I care about pin registration if I'm shooting live action? If I'm doing SFX that might be a consideration. But otherwise, the small amounts of image weave shouldn't be serious.

A camera like a BNCR will probably tire a camera crew pretty fast, unless you keep it on a hydraulic crab/dolly which costs another five to seven grand. It's really a recipie for disaster on an independent film shoot where time is so prescious. With a beast like that it's very tempting to cut yourself short on ambitious shots simply because of the trouble it requires.

The BNC wasn't made for independent filmmaking - it was made for union crews (incidentally, I wonder who had to move it all the time, the AC's or the grips?) and studio work. I would only use a camera like that if I had a more portable camera with me as well.

- G.