Help to buy professional video camera.

luis moya

Hello guys, i need to buy a professional camera but i am realy confused, with what should i buy.

i already thought

in the sony EX1 but this camera is in market already most than one year, so i suppose

so new and better cameras are coming out.

I thought in the

Panasonic AF 101, because of the interchangeable lens, and depth of field, but

i think is quite expensive.

I want a good

camera with full HD, nice sensor and uncompressed audio to make wedding

videos,institucional videos, Eng jobs, and for short fiction films, but maybe

for film is better to buy a dslr, i supouse, you tell me.

I really need

your help guys. I need to buy a camera the fast as possible, and a steady cam.

I am waiting for

your opinions.

Thanks .

P.s. Sorry my English.

Hello guys, i need to buy a professional camera but i am realy confused, with what should i buy.

i already thought

in the sony EX1 but this camera is in market already most than one year, so i suppose

so new and better cameras are coming out.

I thought in the

Panasonic AF 101, because of the interchangeable lens, and depth of field, but

i think is quite expensive.

I want a good

camera with full HD, nice sensor and uncompressed audio to make wedding

videos,institucional videos, Eng jobs, and for short fiction films, but maybe

for film is better to buy a dslr, i supouse, you tell me.

I really need

your help guys. I need to buy a camera the fast as possible, and a steady cam.

I am waiting for

your opinions.

Thanks .

P.s. Sorry my English.

Hi, Luis!

The format you shoot in is determined by what the final product will be used for. The requirements of a wedding video are vastly different from what you might want to use for a short or feature movie.

If you're going to purchase equipment, this means that you are making a financial investment into the gear therefore what you buy needs to fit into the financial parameters of the jobs you'll be using the equipment for. In other words, if you purchase a camera (and everything else you NEED for those jobs), the rental price you have to charge must be commiserate with your market. Someone who wants their wedding shot (and edited) won't want to pay for a high priced rental on gear so you should be using lower quality equipment. However, a narrative movie will be shot in a higher quality format, so the equipment for that costs more than what you'd need for a wedding video.

Make your equipment purchase choices based on what you'll be working on MOST of the time. If you're mostly doing wedding videos, then buy equipment that suits the budget range for that market. If most of your work is narrative "filmmaking," then you'd purchase equipment for that. If you happen to have enough money to buy gear for every need, then god bless you! :) But most people don't have those financial resources, so you'll have to choose to purchase that which you'll use the most (and will be able to add to the invoice) and then RENT equipment for those jobs that are sporadic, like narrative movies.