NFL Films

J Phillips

Just saw that Ed Sabol, founder of NFL Films, was nominated into the NFL Hall of Fame. Not the usual place to find camera people awarded but deserving none the less. Kudos to him for keeping the S16 format alive in this digital era and setting the standard for the way people shoot live action sports.

Hey all,

I actually just wrote a piece on my blog about "behind the scenes" at NFL Films: http://www.theblackandblue.com/2011/02/06/behind-the-scenes-of-nfl-films/

It is pretty amazing the amount of 16mm film that place has been through and still goes through. THey have some 100 million feet of it in their underground vault. I also linked to some videos in the post that give a pretty nice breakdown of them shooting and delivering the footage into post. They even show someone changing mags!

All in all I think it's pretty cool that Ed Sabol got into the hall of fame. He really has helped the NFL achieve a level of popularity that is unrivaled and part of that is his capturing of the most awe-inspiring moments of the game.

Cheers and happy super bowl,

Evan

• 2 weeks later...