straight 8 guide to kodak super 8 stocks

Will Cummock

we've put together this guide to help people choose which kodak super 8 stock to shoot their straight 8 film on:

http://straight8filmstock.blogspot.com/

although we made it to help straight8ers we hope it might be of use to other super 8 users too

there are probably a few errors and omissions in there - please let me know if you think any changes are necessary!

straight 8 2011 is open now at www.straight8.net

They say they do. Any Super8 roll available today will be handled. I'm curious what they do as far as projecting.

We wanted to shoot some Tri-X Reversal for ours, but we just don't get enough exposure in the subways here in NYC and we can't bring in lights because we are shooting on the fly, as it were. So we will have to use 500t. I hate using negative because it really makes transfers a pain in the rear. Scanning is stupid expensive whereas with reversal stock you can get a very good HD transfer for the cost of two movie tickets.

I'd like to know if they are projecting the entires on Video via PAL transfers or if they are actually projected on film.

Yes, more than likely they project video. I think they are doing PAL transfers of everything (I asked them about what they provide if we buy a transfer from them and they said PAL, no NTSC or HD). So 18 fps speed interlaced/sequenced at 25 fps playback. This makes sense. Going video easily allows them to marry your soundtrack to the video for playback.

Hopefully at some point in the future they will go HD because Super8 has more resolution (when focused properly) than PAL.

We are shooting our Super8 dry run this weekend. Using a Canon 60D we will shoot the poop out of my script and then edit until we have what we want. That will then be used as a visual storyboard so we can shoot on our Nikon R10. We're all very excited and scared shipless at the same time! :lol: