Wally Pfister interview

Francesco Bonomo

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect to film, Kodak is getting desperate and it's painfully obvious.

Steven, the "Film. No compromise" campaign is not really new, it's been going on for a while. If you take any piece of marketing saying "my product is better than yours" as a sign that a given company is desperate, then Kodak is definitely not alone and doesn't even have the most aggressive campaign. I know the interview has a strong bias, and I would have been surprised if it didn't, but there are a few things in there that make a lot of sense, at least to me (and I guess a few others). Besides, it's just his point of view: some people agree, others don't. What is obvious, IMHO, is that even with lots of 2K and 4K cameras available, there are still LOTS of people shooting film, especially for theatrical distribution.

• Premium Member

Thanks for that find Francesco! He really is a very grounded guy and deserves every plaudit he gets, and I agree wholeheartedly with his attitude

on the pursuit of excellence that he and Chris Nolan fight for. However the reality for the rest of us is very different!

I would shoot film on every project I do given the choice, and have on numerous occasions fought my corner in that respect but I no longer do that

because if I do I wont work! it is as simple as that. As a cameraman at the Level I work at ( Mostly commercials these days! ) I have no say on what

systems we use to film on! They tell me what were shooting on! That's the reality for me and I suspect for many other camera people not shooting

feature films for theatrical release.

With all due respect to film, Kodak is getting desperate and it's painfully obvious.

As a film student when you hear somebody like Wally Pfister, ASC say that 35mm film is still better than video you feel that its just kodak getting desperate? You should really be paying more attention.

Regards,

M

It is my belief that the most grounded people in this business are the ones that produce the best work. I have never worked on a Chris Nolan/Wally Pfister show, but I would bet that it is rather calm and controlled and fun to work on. Their collaborations time and again produce meaningful, memorable work. That says a lot today, where films are a dime a dozen and are made more and more so to perpetuate what ever camera technology is the latest.

He started to make an analogy between oil and acrylic paint but stopped. I often make a comparison between store bought bread and homemade, film being the later. Sure, there is some really quite good store bought bread and that is it. It is really "good" but also kind of vapid and certainly on some degree artificial. Homemade bread is magic. so is film.