Wally Pfister wins ASC Award for "Inception"

Henry Weidemann

What should we say?

I didn't see all the movies nominated, but I did see "Inception," twice, in theatres. It featured some really exceptional lighting, composition, art direction, photography. So the win is well deserved. I haven't seen the results, but I hope it won best art direction too.

Still doesn't make up for "Avatar" winning last year. That was an insult to all cinematographers, film and digital. The movie was less than 30% "photography;" how can it then win a photography award?

It's interesting to note that, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, it's been a dead heat, half of it being CONTACT PRINTED 35mm, half of it being digital (and FujiFilm on "Slumdog Millionaire").

Yet, I'd say contact printed films are now less than 5%, maybe less than 1% of all photography. So they've won a disproportionate amount of time for an industry saturated with DIs and an increasing amount of digital origination.

What should we say?

I say "Dammit!"

Between the BAFTA giving Best Direction to Fincher, and the ASC giving its prize to Pfister, two categories I thought were sown up are now dead heats, and my Oscar picks are in disarray!

Speaking on a personal level, I am glad Pfister got the prize. I do think his work was the best this year, and while Deakins is SORELY overdue, I don't think True Grit was him in top form, and if he were to win (or get an Oscar) it would be less for being the best that year, and more as consolation for being denied so many times in the past. You just KNOW he has another masterpiece in him, and I want him to win for that.