Hilti PD-40 vs PD-42

Hi Salil,

As far as I can tell through the basic research I've done, the biggest difference is that the PD-42 has an optical sight. That is a nice feature because in bright sunny days, it can be difficult to see the tiny red laser dot and get an accurate measurement. With the optical sight, you would be able to accurately target what you want to measure without having to see the laser dot.

When it comes to being a 1st AC/Focus Puller with the two, I don't know if it will make much of a difference. Besides that optical sight feature, they both have substantial ranges of measuring distance, a built in level, a graphic interface and a rugged housing.

If you are looking to add one to your toolkit, I might advise to get the PD-42 just because my philosophy is if I'm going to spend that much money on something I might as well get the best.

I do, however, have the PD-40 and it works great and I'm very happy with it. I think either the 40 or the 42 would be a good addition to your kit.

Hope that helps!

- Evan

• Premium Member

They are the same, except the 42 has the optical sight. I own the 42 and recommend it; the optical sight is very useful when working in daylight conditions.

With the sight, can you see the dot in full sun?

• Premium Member

Yes, actually, quite well, even in bright sun. It is interesting, you can't see the dot with your naked eye, but if you look thru the sight it is very easy to spot.

I take it the sight is a heavy red filter?

Hi Salil,

As far as I can tell through the basic research I've done, the biggest difference is that the PD-42 has an optical sight. That is a nice feature because in bright sunny days, it can be difficult to see the tiny red laser dot and get an accurate measurement. With the optical sight, you would be able to accurately target what you want to measure without having to see the laser dot.

When it comes to being a 1st AC/Focus Puller with the two, I don't know if it will make much of a difference. Besides that optical sight feature, they both have substantial ranges of measuring distance, a built in level, a graphic interface and a rugged housing.

If you are looking to add one to your toolkit, I might advise to get the PD-42 just because my philosophy is if I'm going to spend that much money on something I might as well get the best.

I do, however, have the PD-40 and it works great and I'm very happy with it. I think either the 40 or the 42 would be a good addition to your kit.

Hope that helps!

- Evan

Wow, good to know! I was for some reason under the impression that the PD-40 had optical sight, I almost bought one on eBay. I'll be picking up a PD-42 soon. Thanks for the insight Evan and John.

Edited by Salil Sundresh

• 2 weeks later...