Film In Fridge

Carl Fischer

I have been keeping about 4 cans of vision 3 500 in my fridge for the past 5 months. I've read that for long periods of time keep in freezer though at school I have a mini fridge and can't fit it in the freezer part. Can the film be damaged by staying to long in the fridge or something?

• Premium Member

I have been keeping about 4 cans of vision 3 500 in my fridge for the past 5 months. I've read that for long periods of time keep in freezer though at school I have a mini fridge and can't fit it in the freezer part. Can the film be damaged by staying to long in the fridge or something?

18 months is fine, I have used 500 asa film that was 6 years old, it had a raised fog level however rating at 250 asa everything still looked good.

• Premium Member

One thing to keep in mind is that condensation can be a problem. Best to put the Cans in "zip-lock" plastic bags before you take them out of the fridge, and let them warm up for several hours (Overnight?) before you open the bags.

Kodak used to recomend freezing for long term storage, but some other film makers don't. SO unless you HAVE to freeze it, you may be better off to just use the fridge.

• Premium Member

Would you recommend ziplocks as well for Super-8 cartridges in the fridge, sealed in their pouches, or are they fine as they are (pouch plus box)? I am talking 100ASA B/W reversal and 100ASA color reversal.

The Pouches are supposed to be water tight. Mind you I can't imagine where sticking them in a zip-lock would hurt.