How to create our own "Grip Equipments" for cheap prize ?

deepak srinivasan

Hi friends i would like to know from your experiences about making our own grip equipments like "a dolly,mini cranes,a trolly.etc". does any one of you have any experiences in trying to make your own grip equipments ??? any manuals or video links ???

Kindly share your experiences and links here :)

Thanks in Advance

Cheers!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi friends i would like to know from your experiences about making our own grip equipments like "a dolly,mini cranes,a trolly.etc". does any one of you have any experiences in trying to make your own grip equipments ??? any manuals or video links ???

Kindly share your experiences and links here :)

Thanks in Advance

Cheers!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd do some YouTube searches. Some clever equipment out there, some not. What you can make depends on your skills, experience and in many cases, what machinery like lathes, mills, welders, drills, saws, you have available to you.

Aspiring "filmmakers" often need to make their own "workarounds" because the cost of manufactured equipment is too high.

That said, for every tool available at places like FILMTOOLS or STUDIO DEPOT, there was someone on a set saying, "ya know, what we could really use in this situation is...." And then someone goes and "invents" it. Then those items wind up on shelves (at admittedly HIGH prices).

Invented gear is what drives new innovations (like Steadicam, by Garrett Brown), but in many instances, it's not worth trying to reinvent the world when the item you need is there available for purchase or rent.

• 4 weeks later...

My experience is that building your own equipment works well if you're building SIMPLE stuff but when you start wanting to get more complicated moves/features from your equipment, you'll probably end up spending near the same amount you'd spend to buy something that's already out there and end up with equipment that doesn't work as well.

There's a lot of info on diy projects out there and it always seems to me that the "build" price is low balled. Maybe if you have a lot of experience in engineering and manufacturing but for most people it's kind of tough.

That being said, I've seen some great simple jib designs that are diy.