Strange Lighting Discrepancy

BenjaminCarey

interesting. I cant give expert advice, but id like to give this a try and see if anyone will correct me if im right or wrong. Judging by the lamps shadow on the second photo the main light source outside [ the sun?] seems to be behind the left hand side of the curtains, if if where inbetween the curtains then yes the venetian patterns would be on her face. But what seems to be lighting her face is the ambient light from outside, which isnt harsh enough t create the shadows.

Im only a student so you would probably be better hearing from someone more experienced on this matter.

The suns light due to its distance away is parallel/collimated thats why you get the hard shadows (its pretty much a 'point source')

If there were clouds outside the source would be diffuse and not cause the hard shadows - an integration of many point sources all at once ... The shadows are there, but they fuddle with each other until they are indistinct.

If artificially lit - which is probable - then the source was probably more like the cloud situation I just outlined than the relative point source of a clear sky sun.

Yes, in the wide shot it is clear that there are two sources... one hitting the table from the left, casting the lamp's shadow, and another hitting the actress from the right. It just seemed to me that the lamp's shadow was hard enough that the shadows from the blinds would also be visible.

Yes, in the wide shot it is clear that there are two sources... one hitting the table from the left, casting the lamp's shadow, and another hitting the actress from the right. It just seemed to me that the lamp's shadow was hard enough that the shadows from the blinds would also be visible.

Probably, but it looks like the curtain is flagging the light off of the actress - you can see part of the shadow of the curtain on the table... The key falling on the actress is presumably softer as it doesn't seem to cast a shadow from the lamp. It does look like a fairly hard source however, but I'm always surprised how hard it is to get good venetian patterns...

Here's my take on this set.

There are two strong light sources. One from the left and one from the right. This is illustrated in the 2nd photo by looking at the lamp shade itself. It's lit on both the left and right edge. The left source is not lighting the person's face and is likely the sun. The right is likely a bounce from the sun (shiny board, or soft bounce or wall) or an large HMI. The right source is very close to the window.

The reason you have no v blind pattern on her face is the source from the right is too soft to create the pattern on the face; yet it IS creating a pattern on the window curtain. The pattern on the curtain is because the curtain is much closer to the blinds than the face. Generally, soft light doesn't make patterns, yet even soft light will create patterns if the gobo is relatively close to the subject where the pattern would display itself. Kapeesh?

Seems like it's just cross keyed to me. The edge lighting on the lamp from both sources (left and right) gives that away. You can also see the blinds are slanted, except for the middle pane. There's not much of an eyelight coming off that in the closeup, but that could be misleading. I'm going with they just softened that key and reduced the size of the vertical lines of the blind until they lost the effect. Interesting choice given usually you'd let that play.

I'd love to know if they needed to fill from in the room at all, or if the fill we're seeing is just ambient naturally bouncing from those 2 sources.