Type of lenses ?

What are the types of lenses available to use in a camera ???

what is a spherical lens , non-spherical lens & an anamorphic lens???

can some one kindly explain in detail?

am confused with this

A spherical lens is just what it sounds like... a plain, round, sphere of a lens. That's the most common and perhaps user-friendly kind.

Anamorphic lenses are generally a spherical lens with additional elements which "squeeze" the image so that it is narrower when it hits the film negative/digital sensor and then is "unsqeezed" when it is projected/edited. This gives a wider aspect ratio while utilizing as much as the camera negative as possible for higher quality. They're also known for different flare characteristics and field of view vs. spherical.

Do some Googling... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format would be a good place to start reading.

• Premium Member

so that means there are only 2 types of lenses in use now

spherical-flat lenses & non-spherical-anamorphic lenses ?????

am i right??

In general, ignoring that spherical lenses may have aspherical elements in them. Of course, most of the elements in an anamorphic lens are spherical. But in general, either a movie is shooting with spherical lenses (most movies in fact) or anamorphic lenses.

Sir, supose if i am shooting 35 i have 2 options to achieve 2.35:1

1.use spherical lens shoot and mask in tele cine

2.use anamorphic lens and record in film defaultly in 2.35:1

am i right or i wrongly understood sir ????

and what kind of lenses ultra prime and master prime are ??? spherical or anamorphic ?

• Premium Member

Sir, supose if i am shooting 35 i have 2 options to achieve 2.35:1

1.use spherical lens shoot and mask in tele cine

2.use anamorphic lens and record in film defaultly in 2.35:1

am i right or i wrongly understood sir ????

and what kind of lenses ultra prime and master prime are ??? spherical or anamorphic ?

Sort of, I mean, for a D.I. you would normally use a scanner, not a telecine, unless you were using HD video as the intermediate digital format instead of data files.

So if you shot spherical, you would scan the whole piece of film. When it was time to record this back to film, you'd only use a 2.35 : 1 area of the film, stretch that vertically by 2X, and record a 2X anamorphic image to 35mm, creating a 35mm anamorphic dupe negative, and then make anamorphic prints off of that.

If you shot with 2X anamorphic lenses, you'd scan that, and later record that back to film with the 2X squeeze left in to create a 2X anamorphic 35mm dupe negative for printing.

Zeiss Ultra Primes and Master Primes are spherical lenses.

• Premium Member

SO, the conclusion is if i say i am shooting in super 35 format it could mean i can either be using a "spherical lens" to shoot in super 35 format or even i could be using an "Anamorphic lense" to shoot super 35 Correct sir (jus a final confirmation before writing down in my personal notes dairy :))

Super-35 just means exposing Full Aperture, anamorphic photography doesn't use the Full Aperture in 4-perf 35mm, it uses the Academy Aperture width (in other words, the width of the anamorphic aperture is 22mm instead of 24mm as it is with Super-35.

So while you could use an anamorphic lens on a Super-35 gate, you wouldn't end up using that extra width. 4-perf 35mm Full Aperture / Super-35 is the same format as the silent era, a 1.33 ; 1 negative area. So with a 2X anamorphic lens, that would give you a 2.66 : 1 image once unsqueezed, which is why you don't use the full width of the Full Aperture area, you use something more like the Academy Aperture width but the Full Aperture height.

So most people who say they are shooting Super-35 imply that they aren't shooting in anamorphic. If the end goal is a 2.40 : 1 image, then you basically either shoot Super-35 with spherical lenses and crop vertically to 2.40, or you shoot regular 35mm with anamorphic lenses.

If you look at this chart, A is 4-perf Super-35 and D is anamorphic 35mm:

apertures3P.jpg