sample clips...

Landon D. Parks

Guest jeremy edge

actually, I just saved it with the x, and then when it told me to choose a program to open it with, I chose windows media player. Not the way you said, but it works.

P.S) That camera takes nice looking shoots in my opinion...

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy, I realize this post is pretty old, but I was just curious if these are you own persoal videos that you made or did you just link to them. If you did make them yourself, did you do anything to the video once you got it onto the computer. The video quality is just amazing. Was there any de-interlacing done or something like that.

Thanks.

-Matt

Matt, We are talking about the XL2 here. It has a built in 24 progressive FPS rate. While it can do Interlaced video, why would you want it to?

As I stated above I was aksing for sample clips shot in 24p, 16:9 mode with the XL2. So Im sure thats what the clips where shot in.

As to the quality of the image, I have to say I was stunded too. I have never seen video look so good from a prosumer camera. However with the XL2's new 16:9 NATIVE mode and 24p, you can expect major improvements over the XL1 and XL1s.

Even the zoo video croped to widescreen (2.39:1) looked great! In fact, I was most pleased with it. It showed me great color depth and some pretty shallow DOF.

I actually imported some of the videos into Vegas 5 and played with film effects, color correction, ect. That even helped more!

This little XL2 is one amazing camera for its price range.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, VERY nice footage... & very nice results/examples of the capabilities of an XL2. More so for the small amount of cost involved for one of these cameras (relative). I have done my own tests with my XL1S/XL2 based on those same clips (as inspiration), with results that are acceptable to me. However, my scenes are not nearly as stunning, my locals do not compare.

But I too was wondering how much "tweaking" was done in post, if any, in regards to color correction/levels, etc., care to share Matt?

Guest jeremy edge
Agreed, VERY nice footage... & very nice results/examples of the capabilities of an XL2. More so for the small amount of cost involved for one of these cameras (relative). I have done my own tests with my XL1S/XL2 based on those same clips (as inspiration), with results that are acceptable to me. However, my scenes are not nearly as stunning, my locals do not compare.

But I too was wondering how much "tweaking" was done in post, if any, in regards to color correction/levels, etc., care to share Matt?

Sorry it took so long to respond....just saw these recent posts....

This is not my footage....I was curious and read some posts on dvxuser.com and found these.....You can probably find the original threads.

it seems most of the tests were done with people who just got the camera...so i dont think much tweaking was done. although the zoo footage looks pretty unbelievable.

This stuff really knocked me over...but mostly because of the sharpness....

I still dont think it has a "film" look that will fool most but is a huge step in the right direction. i'm not getting one...but if I had the money Id' be tempted.

Hi;

I've been testing an XL2 for a short film coming up taking place in a lush summer landscape and coming from pretty much a total film background I was not too sure..... I have to say so far the tests have been a great suprise. (On an SD monitor that is) I've found combining a Tiffen soft con with either an ultra pol or .6 ND grad together with some menu tweaking (pre tape compression) to give some sharp and quite "cinematic" images. You really have to be careful of the DOF with things like the soft con combined with a wide lens, I use a .9 screw in ND on my 3X wide constantly outside to kill some DOF. All in all I guess what I'm saying is for dramatic SD work that's gonna end up on a DVD this camera can give stunning results for filmmakers with lean wallets.

Olly

I agree with you Olly

The XL2 is a very good camera especially for a DVD on SD monitor

I've produced a couple of low-end music vids shot on the XL2

And they all look pretty good and the cinematography great

(Though that's the mostly because of the DP and not the camera).

However the problem comes when you try showing it on an HD screen

Or start projecting the image onto a large screen

You begin to see some softness and the pixels of this low-rez image.

& honestly it's not a substitute for 16mm...no matter what post FX.

However I feel it is a good camera and is better than the DVX100a

And is good for shooting projects destined for video or television.

Personally...the biggest problem with the XL2 is that it came too late

It is the best SD Prosumer camera ever made--but it'll also be the last

With Sony's new HDV cameras out in the market

And Panasonic and JVC coming out with two good cameras this year

The XL2 will probably fall out of favor quickly.

It was bad marketing to bring this camera out too late in the game

If it had come out in 2003 it would have swept the market...but...

Anyways if you like it get the camera--but my best recommendation

Wait to see how good JVC's and Panasonic's HDV cameras are going to be.

here are some spots we shot 3 weeks ago.

I agree this camera would have outsold everything

in 2002-2003, but it will work well in our market for

quite some time.

example 1

example 2

will griffith

producer

msha

However the problem comes when you try showing it on an HD screen

Or start projecting the image onto a large screen

You begin to see some softness and the pixels of this low-rez image.

& honestly it's not a substitute for 16mm...no matter what post FX.

Hi;

Absolutely, S16 looks far far better blown up but I would never shoot with a mini DV cam for blow up (unless I had no other choice) As I said for DVD viewed on an SD monitor I'm really shocked by how well it works, Infact there are moments in my tests that look very similar to 16mm (viewed from an SD video transfer on a TV) That is something I did not expect and has convinced me that for cheap shorts destined for DVD showreels and "little" ideas that would otherwise never get made due to cost it's really a great tool, Believe me though I aint about to sell off my 16mm gear..... And yes it always comes down to the eyes behind the camera!

Olly

• 2 months later...
Guest will

>>what you did in the camera / post, ect to get this cool look?

It was desatuarted a little in FCP.

It was shot with the 16x manual lens, 24p advanced,

full manual, shutter @ 48, 0 gain, 16x9 cropped to 4x3

email me at> griffithwb msha com <if you want a higher quality version.

will griffith

producer.editor

usa