Best Cinematography Oscar Poll

Tim Tyler

83rd Annual Academy Awards Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hope will win the Academy Award for Best Cinematography?

• Matthew Libatique / Black Swan
    • Wally Pfister / Inception
    • Danny Cohen / The King's Speech
    • Jeff Cronenweth / The Social Network
    • Roger Deakins / True Grit

For whom are you rooting, Tim?

I've been boosting "Inception" all over the place. I feel Pfeister got robbed in '08, and everyone got robbed in '09. So I guess I am handing out the Best Cinematography nod as a consolation prize myself this year.

Then again, "Inception" is one of the few I saw on the big screen this year that is nominated. It really was beautifully photographed and composed.

Yeah money! Who bet you $100 on the results of the Oscar for Cinematography, Big A, Tom? And "Inception" is on a run here, with best VFX with the old-school 2001-esque practical spinning sets.

Someone on the West Coast do a line of coke with a champagne cocktail to wash it all down for me. I'm all smiles here :-D

• Premium Member

And it's Pfister!!!!

Absolutely extremely well deserved!!!

(and Deakins won the BAFTA, Libatique won an Independent Film Spirit Award yesterday, I'm happy) :-)

He's certainly not doctrinare about what he shoots on; clearly a "best tool for the job in hand" kinda guy :)

Camera

Arriflex 235, Panavision Primo and G-Series Lenses

Arriflex 435 ES, Panavision Primo and G-Series Lenses

Beaumont VistaVision Camera, Panavision Primo Lenses

Panavision PFX System 65 Studio, Panavision System 65 Lenses

Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Panavision C-, E-, G-Series and Super High Speed Lenses

Phantom HD Camera, Panavision Primo Lenses

Photo-Sonics 4C, Panavision Primo Lenses

Photo-Sonics 4ER, Panavision Primo Lenses

Laboratory

Imagica Corporation, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan (processing)

Laboratoires LTC, Paris, France (processing)

Technicolor, Hollywood (CA), USA (also prints)

Technicolor, London, UK (processing)

I thought it should've gone to either True Grit or Black Swan. Inception had great cinematography, but I don't think it topped those two

i totally agree with you. I was also guessing for True Grit and Black Swan. I wanted Deakins to win it. I was absolutely sure he was going to go for it. It was really a masterpiece what he did on True Grit. Beside, he should have won the Oscar long time ago. I never looked to Inception though it was beautifully shot but it was absolutely Deakins who had done a better job. I was afraid all the time that Matthew would take the award from Deakins because he did an amazing job with Black Swan and it was beautiful... but I never thought for a second it would have gone to Pfister... In my mind the fight for the award was between Deakins and Matthew... I was totally sad...