FGV 7D PL

Guest Hunter Snyder

Guest Hunter Snyder

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some real world insight on the FGV 7D-PL camera. I am looking for a PL mount camera to hold me over until the Epic S release; this one does look fairly appealing.

I'd like to hear what you absolutely hate and love about the FGV 7D PL and/or also provide any information on what also might be worth looking at as well.

About me: I am shooting primarily EFP nature content, time lapse videography as well as a mix of documentary work. I do not shoot handheld much. I would be using this with Ultra Primes and perhaps a Duclos 11-16. I want PL because eventually I will be using them with the Epic. Otherwise, I would get a Canon 7D and start buying Canon glass.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments,

Hunter

Guest Hunter Snyder

Mitch,

We've got an AF100 (picked up from Abel) along with a Nanoflash (also picked up from Abel) and it's a lovely set up. We've had lots of great success with it. I am not interested in the F3 at it's current price point.

The reason I consider the FGV 7D is because I am able to pick one up for about the same price as an AF100. I'd also not have to buy an additional $1,500 PL adapter set up. Weight is something to consider here, although the AF100 feels very light.

Does anyone use an FGV 7D PL here?

• Premium Member

The 7D, or anything like it, is probably one of the worst possible cameras to use for nature or doc content, or really anything other than stills. And yes, I own one.

There is a reason the F3 costs what it does and why, for many people, it is better than waiting on something with a poor form factor and unknown delivery time. There is a lot of novelty being sold these days.

There is already an example floating around of people being tricked into thinking F3 footage was red footage, which was done just to see how a trained eye might perceive it.

• Premium Member
There is already an example floating around of people being tricked into thinking F3 footage was red footage, which was done just to see how a trained eye might perceive it.

Oh come on, the F3 doesn't look that bad, does it? :P I'm joking of course, but do you have a link? Curious to see this...

• Premium Member

It wasn't done on the net for obvious reasons nor have I seen what they were talking about. I did see this nano/graded example posted online that might fool someone into saying it was a red or F35 or whatever, if it weren't already labeled. For all I know its what they were watching but on a real screen.

The new cams are becoming more of an apples and oranges thing.