Portable HDD via HDMI tap, any experience with that idea?

Daniel Russel

Hi All!

As the title says.... To overcome the 12min limit shooting 1080 mode, an idea springs to mind of attaching a portable HDD, possibly solid state to get longer recording time and perhaps overcome overheating.

From my little shooting time on 5D/7D, I've always noticed that when camera is paging data to the CF compartment, you can fry an egg on it, so simple logic says that that's where the overheating comes from...

And are we still getting 480p on HDMI out when shooting?

Well, just an idea but perhaps some of you have something to say about it..

Be well!

• Premium Member

Yes, you still only get 480P out of the camera's HDMI, and it has menu info on it, so it's not really usable.

You can run the camera 12 minutes before it shuts off the recording? I thought it was shorter than that. How many takes last 12 minutes anyway?

• Premium Member

Doable on a GH2, which has HDMI output. The HDMI is (reportedly) always 60i, with a fairly ad-hoc approach to conforming whatever the camera's shooting to fit in that rate - and that does mean that 59.94 modes have one duplicated field every few minutes. It would be possible to write recorder software to intelligently sort this out (I've done it in the past in similar situations), or it could be done fairly straightforwardly after the fact if you were willing to put up with the storage overhead of the duplicated fields - and 1080p30 8-bit RGB isn't exactly huge anyway. And you could Cineform it, or something, maybe.

The main attraction of doing this is the (vastly) improved picture quality, not the extended duration - really, is 12 minutes not enough for narrative filmmaking?

P

Thank you for the replies Gents...

The question came up from Director/s who shoot documentary, long uninterrupted interviews, you get the picture..

Definitely seems more hassle than what it's worth at this time...

Be well!