Anamorphic lenses for Canon EOS 5D Mk2

mark huxley

Hi Guys - you are going to have to excuse my ignorance as im really having problems understanding what I need to shoot images with an anamorphic lens. I don’t yet own one or have access to one but I intend on buying one in the very near future.

I really need help choosing what type I need to fit my camera which I have sweated and busted my guts for months to buy. I don’t mind working for another few months after college to buy the right equipment I need as long as it’s going to be semi decent quality and the right lens for my Eos 5mk2 camera. PLEASE can some kind person give me advice what to look out for, and what to avoid... PS please use words with less than 2 syllables (lol) as im having difficulty understanding the whole concept so pretend im blonde….Oh also what post production software would be best, so for all the questions. Many, many thanks..post on forum or email me

Email me

Hi Mark, i am not an expert on this subject but there many threads on this forum about anamorphic lenses with many valuable information that you should look through.

(Anyone please correct me if i am wrong) There is one basic difference with anamorphic.There are anamorphic lenses(usually in pl mount) that mount directly on your camera(16mm,35mm,digital) and cost some thousands of dollars and there are the anamorphic adapters that are meant for projection purposes and people attach them in front of their prime lenses to achieve the anamorphic look.These can be found relatively cheap and the most well known are the iscos and the kowa. These lenses don't have regular back mounts so you will need some sort of a clamp to attach them on your prime lens.Also i ve never used one on an mk2 but since its a full frame camera you won't be able to use wide angle lenses with the adapters since you ll get black edges and vignetting.

But look around for threads in this forum where many technical issues have been explained by far more experienced people.

Hi Greg

Thanks very much for your input- i think i will have a look around to see if i can use a anamorphic projection lens and attach to a prime lens.. I don’t know if this is possible with the Mk2 but i will certainly review other posts. Many thanks for your reply it really been helpful

Mark