I'm CONFUSED!!! (AG-AF100 - RED Scarlet - or RED S35)

I'm just a little confused here. I have been saving money to buy me a Camera. I have been thinking all the way about buying the Panasonic AF100... but when Sony released their PMW F3, I was totally blown away but they were unfair to release it for about 16000 for body only. So I was still sticked with the Pana AG-AF100. Then later I saw the prices and the features of the Scarlet Interchangeable lens and the S35.

I'm a beginner and I am seeking an advice from you experts. I don't want to do a mistake here and then regret about it later. I have seen all the features but I'm still confused which one to buy. Should I buy the AG-AF100 which I'm more comfortable to or I should wait for the RED Scarlet (Interchangeable Lens version) or the RED S35?

Thanks in Advance...

Here is a link of features to the RED Scarlet and the S35;

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=651

• Premium Member

Wait it out until you need to buy a camera (e.g. have a way of paying it off). Look at it as a business investment, and keep in mind, within a few short years-- or less-- it'll be worthless. Let's face it, a S35 Epic Lite wouldn't do much good for wedding videographer, whereas a AF-100 would. The F3 is designed to work with higher-end Cine-Alta systems to mesh with them but smaller and considerable cheaper. The REDs are designed for indie film shooters; yet for the price for a full rounded package which one can rent out, one must look at the overall price (which'll be somewhere between 20~30K at the least).

Also, before you buy any camera, see if you can find a rental house around you, or trek to a pro store, and test the things out.

Wait it out until you need to buy a camera (e.g. have a way of paying it off). Look at it as a business investment, and keep in mind, within a few short years-- or less-- it'll be worthless. Let's face it, a S35 Epic Lite wouldn't do much good for wedding videographer, whereas a AF-100 would. The F3 is designed to work with higher-end Cine-Alta systems to mesh with them but smaller and considerable cheaper. The REDs are designed for indie film shooters; yet for the price for a full rounded package which one can rent out, one must look at the overall price (which'll be somewhere between 20~30K at the least).

Also, before you buy any camera, see if you can find a rental house around you, or trek to a pro store, and test the things out.

sweet! thank you so much. You have been so much of a help. I really appreciate it. I'm graduating in about a year from now. I wanted to buy a camera in these coming weeks or few months to experiment on it and build up my portfolio and get a long with it before my graduation and even do my final project with it. So I kinda need this camera to be a start for me and do some freelance jobs with it.

• Premium Member

If you're just just just starting out, go with what's hottest/cheapest at the moment, and get something like a 7D. It's not going to be the king-ding-a-ling of cameras, but lower budgets call for it a lot, and when you move on, you'll still have a DSLR you can use on future shoots. (caveat this only works if you're looking to short narrative/music video work)

YEAH!!! I'm looking to short narrative and music video at the moment. haha... I guess you could read my mind. Well, 7D is cheap and it is a great idea. I guess I should re-think about that. THANK YOU. I don't know why I never thought about getting a 7D!!! I guess if I'm going to buy a 7D, it is gonna save me a lot of money.

Edited by Abobakr Mohammed

• Premium Member

It'll save you some, in asmuch as you can get shooting for a low price. I'd recommend finding a place to rent Compact Primes for video work, they'll save you a ton of hassles and, because you can rack with them easily, get you better results than trying to rack with a stills lens. You'll also probably want to look into a rails system for it (for video) to mount followfocus/matte boxes. You can rent those until you can afford 'em. There are cheaper alternatives, but they won't last too long being used...

The big thing with the 7D is once you do go up to say 35mm film, or an Alexa, or whatever, you'll still have it as a DSLR for shooting quick exposure checks, scouting, recording setups, and vacations;)

It's an OK camera, and for the price, hard to pass up; just be wary of it's limitations and try to work within it's bounds and realize, always, it's not the right tool for every job.

Good luck.