RED + HPX 3000

Lars.Erik

Hello,

I've been asked to help out on a corporate commercial. The main camera is the RED. They want to use RED for it's shallow DOF and for some high-speed stuff. 60-120 fps.

We'll be using a 2nd camera, a Panasonic HPX-3000 with a normal J17 broadcast lens. It will be used mostly for interviews and some wide-shots. We're using 2 cameras to get more done in one day.

The Panasonic will be in progressive and 25P mode.

My question is this;

will there be any post-production issues? As I understand the 3000 footage can also be uploaded to FCP with the ProRes 422 codec. Will the editor have any issues with this?

Thank you for any replies.

• Premium Member

If you get all the footage converted to the same format, I don't see why there would be any post issues. Don't know what steps you'd take to get the Red footage transcoded into ProRes HD files though, not sure if that's an output option in RedCine-X for example. May be a two-step conversion.

• Premium Member

Any modern up to date NLE can use footage from both of these cameras in the same sequence. How to do it is rather NLE sepcific and depends on how you want to deliver. E.g. Avid MC 5 can read those files natively but cannot finish at higher than 4K 4:2:2. Sony Vegas can read them and finish in 4K. FCP will requre a transcode to Prores and you'd need to use Color for a 4K finish.

So if there is a devil here, it's in the details. And the first set of details is how are you delivering what NLE (including version) is being used.

• Premium Member

I wrote 4K for Media Composer, but I meant to write HD (1920 X 1080). To be more specific, 1080 4:2:2 linear 10-bit; no DPX. You have to use Avid's DS for higher resolution. Sorry for the mistake. Had 4K on the mind, LOL!