Getting a bleach bypass look in camera

Landon D. Parks

What is the suggested in-camera settings to get a bleach bypass look? i may get a XL2 and I want to shoot something that has a sort of sleepy hollow look. + I want the entire film to have a lot of the colors washed out and to be dark, sort of like "The others". Any suggestions on how to get those looks?

I would use Magic Bullet, but It may take me a little while to figure out how to work After Effects. I cant even load a project in it! :rolleyes: Adobe makes things to hard for me t understand. I caught onto windows movie makera easy, but Im still trying to figure out how to work Premiere pro and After effects.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Guest jeremy edge

Wouldnt you rather do that in post?

Unless you knew you wouldnt be spending hours in editing...just a fast edit...but you knew you wanted a certain look for what you were shooting ,it could be done in camera.I think you can store user presets so once you find that "look" just store it and you can use it when you like(i think)

Also, I believe the dvx 100 has downloadable presets from the panasonic site that stores to an sd card then you can load the card in the camera?

I believe one of the looks is bleach bypass. i saw it on their sit and the still pic looked pretty aqua...I dont know if thats an accurate bleach look.You might be better off experimenting to you find the look manually.

The guy i am collaborating with is maybe getting an xl2 (if they can get them in where he works) If you find some cool settings be sure to share em!

Wouldnt you rather do that in post?

If there is any stand alone programs that can do color grading or add "Pre set" looks, like Magic bullet.

Magic Bullet would be fine, but I dont know how to use after effects, and thats a plug in for that.

If there is some sort of stand alone program to do color correction and add preset looks, please let me know.

Guest jeremy edge
If there is any stand alone programs that can do color grading or add "Pre set" looks, like Magic bullet.

Magic Bullet would be fine, but I dont know how to use after effects, and thats a plug in for that.

If there is some sort of stand alone program to do color correction and add preset looks, please let me know.

Magic bullet takes forevvvvverrr to rennddderrrr.

You could do it in premier:

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=25010

http://www.mindspring.com/~schleicher/htm/...rialsother.html

or for preset looks that dont require any work:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/movielooks.html

Worth noting ..some capture cards come with some cool plugins and software of their own. for example we have(or wade does I should say) a canopus capture card and it has some cool presets....film grain ..hair and stuff like that....

Only thing...when you buy a capture card...check with the manufacturer that it is compatible with your mother board,display video card and processor and memory.

It's also a must to have 2 hard drives (7200 rpm or higher ..raptor sata 10,000s rock)preferrably four for a raid 2+2 so you wont lose data. Also put your project on the secondary drive and the program on your primary or else you'll experience problems. A new puter may have to be figured into your budget if you dont have a killer setup already.

If You have anymore detailed questions I can forward them to Wade.He knows his s**t. He's been doing stuff with that x-files/haunted hill "spasm" effect you used to see in horror a few years back. He's doing it with still image captures ..pretty cool stuff. When I get him to show me I'll post a how to outline.

As easy as the "Pre-Set" looks are. I would much rathere be able to play with the colors myself. This is where I'd like a stand alone color correction program that would allow me to mess with colors, contrast, hue, saturation, ect to get the desired look.

The problem with "Pre-Set" looks is that each scene may be lit different or something or you wanted one scene more bleached than the other, From what I know about "Pre-set" looks there not adjustable. Which could cause sme unwanted results.

I seen a program called Finaltouch? HD from Red Giant, although at almost $5,000 a bit out of my price range.

I Don't need a huge program that can do everything, just a small program capable of allowing me to adjust the "Look" of the image.

Anybody know of any other cheaper software like this Finaltouch Hd stuff that would work pretty good for what I need it for?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi.

> I dont know how to use after effects

Learn! Absolutely essential tool. Postproduction grading is an unavoidable part of video cinematography.

Presets are of little use, or at least no more use than just establishing a base look and copying it to all the clips in a scene then tweaking afterwards. Variances in lighting and photography make it a shot by shot job.

Phil

• Premium Member

As the others suggest, shoot it clean and then tweak it in post.

Having said, that if you do want to get that "Bleach By-Pass Look" go into the camera menu:

Camera Menu

>Custom Preset

>Preset Setup

>Red Gain, Blue Gain, Green Gain

Turn down the red, green and blue gain to achieve the desired desaturation. Check it out on a calibrated color monitor if you can. Again, unless you are absolutely sure, shoot it clean and apply the filter in post.