Movies - an all-round view

Bob Yarwood

This system would completely negate the viewing experience in as much as how our attention is directed. Films are a gestalt of every element available, and what makes a good film maker is being able to weave these elements just so - to strip away an element of control and handing it to the viewer we are now left with a continuation of possibilities of which most are due to fail as its up to the imagination of the viewer to make it work, not everyone has the patience to make a film ... (I hate editing myself)

Anyways, ask yourself why these 'silly little windows' are still so popular ... *edit>> oops, you already did!

Edited by Chris Millar

• 3 months later...

This system would completely negate the viewing experience in as much as how our attention is directed. Films are a gestalt of every element available, and what makes a good film maker is being able to weave these elements just so - to strip away an element of control and handing it to the viewer we are now left with a continuation of possibilities of which most are due to fail as its up to the imagination of the viewer to make it work, not everyone has the patience to make a film ... (I hate editing myself)

Anyways, ask yourself why these 'silly little windows' are still so popular ... *edit>> oops, you already did!

I don't understand much of that as it seems too vague. Yes, the system would be different, and would take some getting used to, but I don't think it would "completely negate the viewing experience". In real life we don't have our attention directed so we direct our own attention to where we want, and VS movies would be like that.

• 1 month later...

Actually the director can still guide the audience's attention, by simply moving the camera near to where he wants them to look. This is done now in most films, and is called dollying. The only thing a VS camera would not be able to do is zooming, but the effects of zooming and dollying are the same.

Why is everyone so obsessed with seeing things on a screen? We could be right inside the movie or computer game, with the action going on all round us. See my essay at http://www.virtual-space.org.uk

Whatever. Film is art and this would just be another way to present it. We are obsessed with seeing things on a screen because it is still a fantastic way to view that work of art. I'm not bothered by this kind of technology so long as it doesn't become a zero sum game. I don't want to be forced to only experience and view film art through a machine fastened to my head.

Actually the director can still guide the audience's attention, by simply moving the camera near to where he wants them to look. This is done now in most films, and is called dollying.

Yes, this is what makes film good - It is not called dollying - it is called direction.

It was my point.

The only thing a VS camera would not be able to do is zooming, but the effects of zooming and dollying are the same.

No they aren't - think about it...

The question is not why are people so obsessed with viewing things on a screen. That's not the question at all. The question is: why are some people so obsessed with ushering in this "new era" of totally unnecessary technology (considering the technology we currently have is perfectly satisfactory). And I will say, it is an interesting concept. But is it really practical? Look at the Virtual Boy for example. It was built around the same idea of "head-mounted display helmet". Not to say that the Virtual Boy was a total failure, but it was exactly what something like VS would be, unnecessary. Movies were simply made for screens, and there really aren't any truly damning flaws with screens. And as Chris mentioned above, movies shown on screens are still popular for a reason.

Edited by Jordan Seymore