Angenieux 12-120mm - Anamorphic questions

Jay Young

• Premium Member

So I've managed to get a hold of this Angenieux-Zoom Type 10x12B F.12-120mm 1:2.2. Same kind that I think were standard on the... Arri 16BL?

Anyhow, I have been researching and digging nothing up on the matter. I have a couple of questions.

First: How in the world am I going to attach a 2x anamorphic adapter to this?

a) Find one of those slick Kowa 2x types and hope that I can find a rod support system that will make it work.

B) Find one of those awesome looking square front anamorphs and do the above. (I totally want one of these just cause they look cool).

c) Get a different lens! HA!

The problem I'm running into is that the front of this lens seems REALLY BIG, like 72mm big (I haven't measured it). I am not sure

what route to go at this point. Surly someone has done this before with this type of lens. Maybe I should just find a nice prime lens. I got it CHEAP tho...

Anyone have any thoughts to this? I shoot in 39 days with or without the anamorphic. I'd like to test it out first of course.

THANKS!

An anamorphic attachment like the Russian FOTON-A should work with your lens, it will cover focal lengths from 140 to 37mm with 35mm zoom lenses. Last week I saw one on eBay for about $700.

With the Kowa attachment, I'd prefer good prime lenses to any zoom, its diameter will limit the wide angle end a bit (around 25mm IIRC).

The people watching your finished film will not know how cool your camera setup looked, so go for quality... ;)