Anyone know their way around Atlanta?

• Premium Member

Looks like I'm going to be in Atlanta this summer. Anyone know their way around? I'd love some insider information that's not influenced by the local business organizations that want my money.

Hi Chris -

My family moved to Atlanta a few years back, although I've never been a resident. For good burgers/beers, hit up the Vortex in Little 5 Points. Little 5 Points is interesting, although small (hence the name). I'm a soccer fan, so the Brewhouse(http://www.brewhousecafe.com/) is a good spot in that area as well.

Any idea what part of the city you will be in? Atlanta is full of urban sprawl so that could be key to how much you enjoy it. Downtown seems to be very quiet and a bit of a ghost-town on weekends.

I've lived in Atlanta since I was born here, 24 years total. It has its issues but every major city does. I have always enjoyed living here and there is a TON of things to do.

I highly recommend the Georgia Aquarium, great experience for anyone of any age. The newly renovated Coke museum is quite impressive as well, lots of free samples and a lot of fun. Little Five Points is the place to go if you're looking to watch a game or grab a good meal. The Vortex and Tijuana Garage are local favorites with phenomenal food. The Sweetwater Brewery offers a great tour of their facility and how they create their unique brand of beer, definitely try some while your here. Olympic Park is a nice place to visit although there's not much to do there. The Cartoon Network/CNN studio tours are cool, a little pricey if I remember correctly but interesting none the less. If you want to see a show the Masquerade offers a great "hole in the wall" local venue with a huge variety of music acts. The FOX Theater is almost always doing something interesting. Last Summer they showed $5.00 movies on Saturday nights. Ghostbusters, the Blues Brothers and Back to the Future were some of the ones I saw, all on original 35mm prints! The Plaza Theater, Atlanta's oldest continuously independent theater is a great old school film theater. http://www.plazaatlanta.com/ Completely non-profit, they have great variety of indie films and off beat cinema constantly in rotation, almost all of it shown on 35mm in a very swanky environment. Incredible popcorn too, buy some while you're there or you'll regret it later. Chandler Park is gorgeous and a great place to take photos if you fancy a photo walk, they also have an adult kickball league that is a blast. Eyedrum is the local hipster hangout but usually has some sort of performance art exhibit going on and some cool galleries on display. The Krog Street Tunnel is worth a visit during daytime hours only, amazing graffiti and street art that literally changes every day can be seen there. Atlantic Station has a bunch of nice restaurants and shopping if that's your thing. Right now they are running an incredible show called "Dialogue In the Dark" and the "BODIES" exhibition. Both highly recommended. http://www.atlanticstation.com/ Click the EVENTS tab. The Mall of Georgia is pretty cool, whether you like to shop or not it has something for almost everybody and can easily fill and afternoon.

If you need more info on anything shoot me a PM. I'm always happy to show my city off!

Kevin

• Premium Member

If you're going to be driving, bring a GPS and buy an Atlanta street map. I lived at Sewanee, TN for six years and trips to Atlanta were always accompanied by getting lost. There must be at least fifteen Peachtree something or others. Then there's the time I got directions to Doraville from a local on the phone...and drove all the way around the I-285 loop looking for Doughville. I realize you Georgians are all currently rolling around the floor LOL.