Low contrast image methods?

I am looking for a more low contrast pastel image on an upcoming project.. And I am curious if any of you have any thoughts or experiences on ways to achieve this and the major differences..

UltraCon filters vs Flashing the negative vs Pull Processing vs Overexposing and process normal vs all in the DI

Cheers

• Premium Member

I am looking for a more low contrast pastel image on an upcoming project.. And I am curious if any of you have any thoughts or experiences on ways to achieve this and the major differences..

UltraCon filters vs Flashing the negative vs Pull Processing vs Overexposing and process normal vs all in the DI

Cheers

Try a bit of all of them rather than rely on one technique. I'd start with a lower-contrast stock like Fuji Eterna 400T, then overexpose and pull one-stop. That's should be a nice, pastel, low-con image that you can further manipulate in post. UltraCons help too but they can be hard to work with when you pan past something bright in the frame.

Ah that sounds like a sure fire way to get there!

The UltraCons are definately a no go then..

What are your experiences with flashing the negative? Is that an old school technique not so available anymore? A very lab intensive process? I know Labitique had success with it in Requiem..

How might it read on Eterna 250 a warmer pastel palate?

I have a project coming up where we're going for a similar effect; major reference for us is the work of Roy Andersson, like "World of Glory" (available on Youtube) and "Songs From the Second Floor."

My plan is to use Kodak 7229 (a low-contrast stock) and overexpose by a stop, then pull. This will not only decrease contrast and color but will also tighten grain structure.

Flashing the film requires special equipment like the Arri Varicon or the Panaflasher.

OR, you can take the slightly risky DIY route by filming an underexposed and out-of-focus grey card, then rewinding the film and shooting over it.

But it seems to me that pull-process is more practical and more effective,

if you can get that extra stop of light.