16mm Short End/Recan Availability

I know there have been a couple threads made already that discuss the various places to get short ends and recans, but it seems many of these places have recently shut down or do not offer a large variety (if any) of 16mm short ends/recans. Being that I live in Canada, my main distributor for short ends has always been Certified Film out of Toronto, who are great. But recently they haven't had anything available whatsoever in 16. I stretched them to try and find some film for me and the best price they could get was .25c/ft (might as well by the film brand new for that).

Where do you guys buy your 16mm short ends and recans? Your 35mm short ends and recans? What pricing do you generally get?

Thanks!

Try Media Distributors in Hollywood (Burbank, actually). It's been about three years since I bought some, but I got a bunch of recanned 7219 for a very good price, as well as 5129 a year later, and everything was snip tested and had no shifts whatsoever. Here's their contact info:

Los Angeles

4518 W. Vanowen Street, Burbank, CA 91505

24/7: 888-889-3130

Phone: 818-980-9916 Fax: 818-980-9265

la@mediadistributors.com

Good stuff, thanks! They had excellent pricing on the recans the quoted me for. If anybody else still wants to chime in where they get their 16, that would be great!

Try Media Distributors in Hollywood (Burbank, actually). It's been about three years since I bought some, but I got a bunch of recanned 7219 for a very good price, as well as 5129 a year later, and everything was snip tested and had no shifts whatsoever. Here's their contact info:

Los Angeles

4518 W. Vanowen Street, Burbank, CA 91505

24/7: 888-889-3130

Phone: 818-980-9916 Fax: 818-980-9265

la@mediadistributors.com

• Premium Member

I didn't go with their offer because I got a better one from a forum member.

Always check the sales forum!

Just listed some factory sealed 400ft loads from my fridge in the Cine Marketplace.

cheers, Phil

They'll be kinda overwhelmed for the next few weeks with the HDCam SR crisis, though.

-- J.S.

My heart really does go out to Japan (and I almost didn't walk the earth due to a Japanese large calibre bullet on 7 Dec. 41 at Wheeler field just north of Pearl Harbor), but is the film forum supposed to CARE about an HDCam tape crisis? That might interrupt some peoples' telecine transfers, but it doesn't affect us in the least. If anything, it helps film production as an optino.

S8 sucks at this, 16mm sucks at that. 35mm, chemicals, toxic, expensive, wasted silver, yadda yadda yadda. . .

Looks like the glove is on the other hand now. . .

I'll continue to roll 35mm at work EVERY SINGLE DAY, uninterrupted, thanks very much.

Yeah, but that's not going to affect film shooting, right WIll? There might be an extra rerun or something, IDK.

I did hear, anecdotally and unverifiably, that Fuji is having issues at their facility (35mm 16mm 8mm film), but that is from a Kodak rep., so IDK how reliable a story it is.

I wish George Gush of FujiFilm USA were a participant on these fora.

One misses John Pytlak at times like this. He certainly did give his job his all.

That's good to know Johnb.

I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I roll both 2383 and Fuji 3514 at work :-)

So I am not choosing sides, at least for now. Have to say, it's really surprising how little return service I've gotten from Agfa-Gaveart, and Lucky in China.

Attempted to obtain samples of their ECP stocks, without success to set up printing channels.

• 1 month later...

16mm recans and ends are indeed difficult to find. I've been reselling film and there has never been a great supply at even the height of film use.

But, please contact me if you do need some 16mm or 35mm ends. We buy back whatever is available in ends and have some great deals right now. I've got some 7212 and 7213 recans for just .15 cents per foot.

Also, even though they aren't recans, I have some factory sealed Fuji 16mm at recan prices. 8622 (64D) and 8663 (250D) at just .19 cents per foot.

I formerly ran the film department at Studio Film & Tape and then Media Distributors for over a decade. Now, I'm at Comtel Pro Media. Give me a call or shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Richard Kaufman

Comtel Pro Media

818-450-1122

richard@comtelpm.com

• Premium Member

16mm recans and ends are indeed difficult to find....

There was a guy on here within the last week or two trying to sell some 400 ft. NOS Fuji, and other 16mm. His complaint was that there were no buyers. Unfortunately, the thread was called "Film is Dead", so it'll be nearly impossible to find via the search function.

Edit: Aha -- here it is:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=51611&pid=350809&st=0entry350809

So, somebody go buy his film.... (You may have to scroll to the top in that link.)

-- J.S.