Special effects Cinematography

I found the VES Handbook very useful as a somewhat detailed note on general VFX practices.

I originally read it in the hopes of getting a better knowledge of where VFX artists and supervisors are coming from, making their jobs easier and the outcome(project) stronger. I also used it to further understand those practices in the hopes of being better prepared for processes I had no experience in thus far, and of course glean some little tricks here and there.

It's the equivalent of the ASC bible in terms of pages (900+), but doesn't have as many technical charts. There are pretty pictures, though!

From what I've read of the VES Handbook, it'd probably be more useful for practical modern day information.

If your looking to understand the concepts and history behind the techniques (it includes info on CG). Then this is pretty good read...

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Effects-Technique-Richard-Rickitt/dp/0823084086/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301506502&sr=1-1

The ASC handbook/bible also has some good info on special effects cinematography (shooting miniatures, explosions, etc).