Sniper 16mm HD Pro

Trej Macdonald

I am looking for a reasonably priced film scanfor DI work without breaking the bank. I have spoken with a local company who use the Sniper 16mm HD pro ( http://www.moviestuff.tv/sniper_16_hd.html )and have great rates, and wanted to know whether anyone has ever seen HD footage scanned with it. Also, does anyone know if it can scan 16mm negative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Trej Macdonald

I saw that it uses a Canon HV30. However, i've done some research and found out that it uses the HDMI output of the camera in order to bypass HDV compression and get a 4:2:2 1080p output as opposed to 1440x1080 @ 4:2:0. I have personally owned an HV30 before and found it to be an excellent camera. Also, the bonus with using the Sniper 16 HD Pro is that I can get my footage scanned at just $5 per minute of footage.

Edited by Trej Macdonald

probably for reversal film only. also, probably for regular sixteen only as many projectors don't have a wide enough gate for super sixteen. But the big issue is that you said you wanted to consider it for DI work, bad news is it won't cut it. Maybe it is good enough for a one light/ best light transfer for editorial, but not a DI. It is the camera that is the bottle neck. Even at 422 color uncompressed, it will come up short. .14 cents a foot is cheap but you get what you pay for. Won't compare to a pin registered scan. Use it as a dailies transfer, make sure they capture the hole punch at the beginning so you can make an edl, then rescan selects when you are finished.

But the thing here is, that for dailies, you can get cheaper than .14 per foot. You can get an Arriscan for as low as .25 per foot, so you may want to rethink things. contact http://www.finishedit.com/indie for rock bottom prices.