Rear-Projection

Hello everybody,

after digging up the archives of the forums I found some answers to my problems, but I wanted to post anyway since a lot of the posts were old or just not very detailed.

so, here is our shoot:

we are simulating a moving train, day, in studio. the windows are steamed, and the actor clears them up with his finger and looks outside, where the scenery is seen, rushing rapidly. so far I´ve reached the following decisions:

- rear or front projection instead of green screen, because the windows are steamed with water drops on them and that would be a headache to key, and impossible with our budget.

- we are shooting 35mm with the moviecam, 500t, (probably 5219) in order to have enough light and a to defocus the background enough to hide the projection.

- I would like to have one laptop feeding two projectors, one for the rear projection and one as a key light through a frame, in order to sync the lights on the actor´s face to the background seen. would probably "strengthen" this one with a HMI.

- I would be shooting the plates digital, probably with the sony EX3, and probably focused and defocus them in the post or on set. the plates will be shoot out of a real train.

and now my questions:

- DLP/LCD? any known issues? how many lumen to begin with?

- should there be any rolling shutter problems with the plates, since I´m shooting EX3 out of a train? (I mean there probably will be, but will they be a problem as defocused back-plates?)

- Sync and frequency problems? I´m shooting the MovieCam on 25fps.

- any recommendations for the projection screen? I heard Lee Frost is good, and thought about taping two stripes together with fine and transparent tape. I also have a 1/2 Silk 12X12, which is probably too thick and too wavy, I would think. any other options?

- any other ideas for planning the test shoot? I would like to know that everything works before going to the principal shooting.

there would also be at least one shot where the background has to be pulled into focus. any ideas there, except of putting the screen as far away as possible?

any experience, ideas, links or potential hazards are extremely welcome!

Thanks and all the best,

Dror

Edited by Dror Dayan