Fav 17" Production Monitors

My trusted 17" JVC DT-V17L2DU production monitor fell over on set and must be repaired or replaced. :( The left half of the screen works fine, but the right half says "cracked LCD" all over it.

Aside from the Panasonic 17", which of the latest monitors do you like using as a reference monitor on set?

I need SDI, HDMI, Component and Composite inputs. 12v power option. Durability.

I don't need waveform or scopes.

• Premium Member

The new Sony OLED's are beautiful, way far dark blacks, much better than a CRT, and more dynamic range. The downside is price, the 17" is about $20K, and the 25" is $30K. A lot of facilities have been using Panasonic consumer 42" and 50" plasmas for color timing, with a CineTal Davio box and the probe setup for calibration. That's more like $10K, and would total a bit less for 17".

-- J.S.

• 4 months later...

TV Logic's 17" has lots of nice waveform options, RGB parade, etc, but one thing I found aggravating was the 'boot up' time. When you turn it on, it takes like 10-15 seconds to scan all the inputs before displaying an image. Maybe this is something that can be changed in the settings, but every time power was kicked out or a cable was pulled, having to wait for the image to return was very annoying.

The Flanders has a great image, with the same range of expanded waveform and vectorscope options, and really good viewing angle too. Personally I prefer the 17" Panasonic, the newer panel, 1760, esp if it has low hours. Much better blacks compared to the older 17". On-axis, the image is generally quite reliable for on set reference, though if being very critical you have to watch for shadow colouration and overall green/magenta shifting as the hours accumulate on the monitor.