Vision3 500T vs 200T

can anyone with experience using both stocks (Vision3 500T and 200T) in various situations provide which produces higher contrast and color saturation with richer blacks. i've used the 500T 7219 quite a bit with nice results, but now i/m in process of budgeting an order purchase for a project and missing the results that the EXR stocks provided. therefore, any thoughts on if the newer 200T may be higher in contrast and color saturation? thanks, robbie land

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Johnb: Go with Vivid.

Kodak also makwes a stock it's either 5260 or 5280 that is supposed to mimic EXR 500T or the original Vision 500T stock and have more "snap" to it. . .

I agree with Johnb: Go with Vivid.

Kodak also makwes a stock it's either 5260 or 5280 that is supposed to mimic EXR 500T or the original Vision 500T stock and have more "snap" to it. . .

Are you talking about this? http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Products/Production/Color_Negative_Films/5230.htm I wasn't aware of this stock before; how new is it? The technical data sheet is dated March 2011.

The Fuji Vivid films have been compared to the older EXR stocks by others; the Vivid 500T has a lot of grain, but it has an organic quality to it, so it's not as objectionable as you might think. (I noticed the new Kodak 500T claims to have an "organic look" and I wonder how much the 5230 is meant to compete with Fuji's Vivid stocks.) I find that Fuji's film stocks tend to render just a bit cooler than Kodak stocks, so if you go the Fuji route you might want to add a mild warming filter (though this is easy to correct in post too).

Are you talking about this? http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Products/Production/Color_Negative_Films/5230.htm I wasn't aware of this stock before; how new is it? The technical data sheet is dated March 2011.

The Fuji Vivid films have been compared to the older EXR stocks by others; the Vivid 500T has a lot of grain, but it has an organic quality to it, so it's not as objectionable as you might think. (I noticed the new Kodak 500T claims to have an "organic look" and I wonder how much the 5230 is meant to compete with Fuji's Vivid stocks.) I find that Fuji's film stocks tend to render just a bit cooler than Kodak stocks, so if you go the Fuji route you might want to add a mild warming filter (though this is easy to correct in post too).

hmmm - didn't see any news release by Kodak about the 5230, but there it is. It's not a Vision 3 stock either. Looks like Kodak is selling the "affordability" of this film over anything else. .62 for a fresh 400' and .35 for 16mm. Interesting. Have to call Kodak now to find out more.

I've been spending a lot of time at Kodak with the reps and they say that 5230 is basically a combination of 5218 and 5219, made to have a lower price point than a V3 stock while still looking... "good." Yes, that is how it was described. Even being made for affordability, it strikes me as very strange that you would want to release a new product that is an amalgamation of an outdated stock and its replacement.

But we'll see, as I've been given some test rolls of it and we're going to do some side bys with 5213, 5219, and 5260 just to see how this stock compares to each platform.

Fuji Vivid 500 is not grainy ! Whats wrong with you Kodak fanboys ?

Who's a fanboy? On the whole, I've shot more Fuji than Kodak, and I started recommending the Vivid 500 pretty soon after it came out. My experience is in 16mm, though; perhaps you're accustomed to seeing it in 35mm?

Mike: Interesting. So Kodak now has three 500T films - Vision 3 5219, Vision 2 5260, and this new 500T, supposedly a Vision 2.5. I'd be curious to see the results of your test, especially with regard to color reproduction and shadow detail. I'd like to know what they mean by calling it organic as well.

can anyone with experience using both stocks (Vision3 500T and 200T) in various situations provide which produces higher contrast and color saturation with richer blacks. i've used the 500T 7219 quite a bit with nice results, but now i/m in process of budgeting an order purchase for a project and missing the results that the EXR stocks provided. therefore, any thoughts on if the newer 200T may be higher in contrast and color saturation? thanks, robbie land

Of course I'm prejudiced, but you may want to test some Fuji stocks...

Rich

Kodak Has:

'19

'60

'29

'30 for their 500ts right now. I think they may even still have '18 and '79 kicking around too... but don't quote me on that.

Kodak depleted the stock of 5218 over a year ago, and 5279 has been gone for five to six years, pretty when 60 came out to replace it.

Word on the street is that 5229 has very limited days. 5260 is pretty much done, I was attempting to purchase some for a film and once Rochester sliced off the last roll, Hung (HBO) bought nearly the whole show. Can't even get 1000' cans anymore, and the 400' cans are pretty slim right now. I loved the 60, but the 19 will do just fine.

I can understand Kodak dropping '60, but not '29. Doesn't Fuji still make a '29 product?

Rich, I don't know if I can give you any business yourself, but want to talk to you today about the Fuji lineup. . .

I can understand Kodak dropping '60, but not '29. Doesn't Fuji still make a '29 product?

Rich, I don't know if I can give you any business yourself, but want to talk to you today about the Fuji lineup. . .

The 29 equivalent in Fuji is the 400T. Soft/subdued and "pastel-ly"