Lighting B&W Shower Scene?

A Hain

So I'm trying to figure out a simple way to light a shower scene with a 5D in B&W/1080/24/1200 or 1600 asa.

Here are my questions:

1.) How do I get the water to be more contrasty so that I can actually see it? I know back lighting (right?) but it's a tight old apartment shower.

2.) Whats the best way to keep the camera from getting wet?

3.) Will the steam hurt the 5D?

4.) The scene is suppose to be very sweet so I'm trying to figure out the best way to actually shoot it. I mean... do you show the curtain? That seems to be too voyeuristic/Psycho-esque... Wide angle from inside seems to distort too much though...

I know this is a lot and I'll run some more tests. 1 2 & 3 are what I really need to know.

Thanks!

As long as the light is not frontal it should be good and you will be able to see the water drops nicely. You can bounce light off of a card and just have single source lighting and fill in shadow areas if needed. Check out the shower scene from Paranoid Park - it is light coming from the top. You could pretty much do something similar to Paranoid Park scene, but lighten shadows where you need to. You could probably also tape a 2ft flo tube up on the top of the shower or you can zip tie it to vents if there are vents. You can tape up black wrap to control where you want to direct that flo tube. And you can gel it however you want.

Camera protection: Well, you should stay at least a couple feet from the shower and possibly put some kind of clear garbage back and cut a hole for the lens to pop through for safety measures.

Please make sure that you have someone experienced on set so that no one is going to get hurt.

Link to paranoid park shower scene:

Also look at how they got around the curtain issue. A simple cut.

Edited by Ronald Gerald Smith