Storbing and fliker issue. EX-1

Luke Sweetman

Hey guys, recently made big mistake, I am filming for my documentary.

I am filming it on my EX-1, I live in Ireland, the settings were 1080 25p, shutter speed 60 (first mistake, I think), flicker reduction was off but at 60Hz, filmed under a tungsten light, powered by a generator.

There was some issues with the footage after reviewing it.

http://vimeo.com/22088207

this link is not exactly representative of the footage but gives some idea.

I have two questions;

1. is it possible to salvage my footage, can I reduce this strobing or flicker, by converting the footage.

2. Should I have used these settings, 1080 25p, shutter speed 50, flicker reduction on 50Hz,

any help would be great as I will be shooting further material next week.

thanks people

Luke

• Premium Member

None of that looks like it's due to the lighting, more like little bumps on the camera during the motion. I don't see any noticeable flicker in more stationary framings, though. That being said, I like to set the EX to the area I'm working in. In Ireland it's 50Hx power, so shooting with a 1/50th(172.8 degree for 24p, or 180 for 25p) second shutter would be best. You can still shoot 24P if you want, and I would if you're showing in the US. If this is a project for the European market, then you'd do 25p. I normally use flicker reduction @ the line hz of the mains in the country (50 in your case).