7D vs. 60D

ben goldberg

So I have been thinking about purchasing a 7D or a 60D, just trying to get out to do some more shooting while things are slow and not looking to spend all of my money.

I know they both have fairly similar characteristics. If you have used both could you tell me if it is actually worth that extra 500 or so dollars to go with the 7D as opposed to the 60D?

Thanks

The 60d has One Digic 4 processor, the 7d has 2. This allows for more latitude, in both video and photos, better high iso handling, and better videorecording (the codec is recording a stronger file)

Edited by Joshua Larson

...This allows for more latitude, in both video and photos, better high iso handling, and better videorecording ...

I don't think so.

The second processor makes processing still images shot in quick succession faster, but has no effect on video processing.

AFAIK, video quality on both cameras is identical.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used both the 7D and the 60D, and the 7d does feel substantially more solid.

The image quality is the same, though the 60d does have the flip out lcd screen, which has it's uses. The 60D also has built in video filters, but they're more useful for someone shooting consumer level work.. The 7d firmware has so far proven uncrackable for magic lantern, so if you want to record leveled in-camera audio then stay away from 7d, however most people record on digital recorders anyway.

Between the two I chose the 7d and it's been wonderful so far, though you don't want to have it in direct sunlight since the card overheats and you can only shoot in 12 minute clips. Thankyou Great Britain for that. I've also found that when shooting in very cold weather it shuts off until I heat up the battery a little.

If the 7d/60d is going to be your only camera for video production, I advise thinking about it carefully. They're beautiful cameras, but have many hang-ups.

• 3 weeks later...

hello!

I was looking for the first time D60,wandering about the great PQ.

I tried to use the NIKON 50 mm (1:1.7) on it which is a very good lens,but I saw that time after time the light going into decreased for a fraction of seconds than it became normal.Is this because Nikon is an old type?Or I must adjust something in the menu?

Goshi

• Premium Member

The difference - as a video camera, not a hell of a lot. Maybe some more ISO ratings on the 7, which are probably simulated anyway. 7D has better build quality, takes CF cards rather than SD. 60D has a flip-out monitor, which is nice to have.

I'd buy the 60. The 7 doesn't offer enough more.

P

60D's slip screen does have a lot of advantages, since with the small size of DSLRs you do tend to fit in uncomfortable places. PQ is similar. But 7D can be pain when shooting outdoors as it heats up way too quickly. I found 60D to be far more heat resistant.

• Premium Member

My personal preference is the 7D for its more professional operating features but the 60D is an excellent camera if you're on a budget.

If you're shooting for hire, you may find Producers want 5D and 7D's just because they're familiar with those models and have used them before.

60D's slip screen does have a lot of advantages, since with the small size of DSLRs you do tend to fit in uncomfortable places. PQ is similar. But 7D can be pain when shooting outdoors as it heats up way too quickly. I found 60D to be far more heat resistant.

• 3 weeks later...

if you are talking about doing film on it its basicaly personal preference, the difference in processors is negligable and the casing and screen are the only diff.

7D casing is magnesium alloy, so, its quite a bit stronger than the 60d in that dept, which is plastic (http://asia.cnet.com/crave/exploding-car-burns-canon-7d-leaves-memory-card-intact-62112267.htm)

the articulated screen on a 60d is useful in odd angle circumstances.

they use different memory cards so maybe, if you already have some CF cards (or SD cards) it would be cheaper than getting another type of memory card (thats the only reason why i chose the 7D).

Otherwise, video is pretty much the same, and they both have heat issues (hey... what hdslr wouldnt)

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I've seen that many other users have given their feedback.. So i will give mine in a short summary

If you got enough money you should get 7D.

Reason, the extra money you are paying for are:

Better body construction, magnesium alloy and weather sealing. Although 60D has weather sealing too, just not as complete as 7D's

Dual image processor - 60D has only one

Better viewfinder - 100% coverage.

Uses CF memory card

And the rest are just not that important i think, 60D has the vari-angle LCD and it has 1,02 million dots v.s. 7D's LCD (960k dots)

60D has built-in effects (not very useful for professional use i think)

Otherwise, many professional would choose 7D over 60D for many reasons. Although I'm going to get 60D soon because the economic reason.

But, if you are patient enough, i think canon 5D markIII is on the way.