1st EPIC 5k 120 fps Underwater footage to surface!

Clayton Haskell

Greetings,

I had the pleasure to recently shoot on a pre prodiction EPIC-M camera (#008 Ketch Rossi & Steve Gibby) and wanted to share some footy. I figured now would be a good time since we kick off NAB today. Here is some EPIC 5k footage shot at 120 fps and compressed to 1080 and uploaded to Vimeo. This is a teaser from a short film by Summer Rayne Oakes and myself. Keep in mind I did a very quick grade in redcine, dropped the blacks with a curve and left my highlights the way I intended. I was going for a blown out look but was amazed that with the Raw files I could bring back any of the highlights, nothing was actually clipped. The UW housing was built and provided by Michael Hasting of Aquavideo and the EPIC was made possible by Ketch of Ketch Rossi Studios. I want thank all the above for the support and helping make this shoot possible. Having had a glimpse of the future I can safely say that things are certainly looking up for RED and the world of digital cinema. I will follow up with a review soon but this was an incredible experience to say the least. Come back soon as I will post some R3Ds, BTS stills and video to follow. Cheers and see you at NAB.

Vimeo

youtube

In memory of Tom Eisner (June 25, 1929 - March 25, 2011)

Staring and Written by Summer Rayne Oakes

Director & DP: Clayton H. Haskell

Camera EPIC-M 008: Ketch Rossi

Gaffers: Timur Civan & Jim Jones

1st AC: Alex Martin

2nd AC & BTS: Mark Weston

Production Assistent: John Mitchell

Music: Natural Blies by MOBY

What housing did you use for the camera? I was under the impression I had the only Epic housing and thats because we tooled it all in house here at Barnstormer.

~Marque

...The UW housing was built and provided by Michael Hasting of Aquavideo...

Wow, looks great. What lights did you use for these shots? Did you have something in the water as well bouncing back up under her chin? Also, did you use any filtration, or is that blooming effect around the highlights just from the light hitting the water particles?

Very impressive, 120fps as 5K is a big step forward for them.

Alex