Panasonic GH-2 vs. Canon 60D

kyle merryman

unless something new in the next couple months is coming down the pike, i'm think i'm going to get the 60D, with it's improvements putting it in price and quality between the 2Ti & 7D. however, i've talked to some folks who love the Panasonic's 3/4 imaging and veriety of lens for it as well.

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi Kyle,

If by chance you already own several modern Canon lenses compatible with a 60D, that's a compelling reason to get a 60D.

I really like my hacked GH1 and a new GH2, and I usually recommend them to most folks considering buying a HD-capable DSLR -- except if they already own several new-ish Canon lenses.

To use a recent vintage Canon lens on a Micro Four Thirds cam such as the GH2 requires a relatively expensive mount (the new one coming soon from Birger).

Other than modern Canon lenses, most other lenses can be adapted to the GH2's m43 mount fairly inexpensively. And of course, m43 lenses can be mounted directly w/o an adapter.

My other favorite feature of the GH2 is its relatively high resolution EVF. The GH2's swivel LCD is only so-so, but its EVF is very good -- and no expensive add-on loupe/LCD magnifier is required when shooting in bright sunshine.

Much more info in this thread elsewhere on Cinematography.com :

Panasonic DMC-GH2 announced at Photokina 2010

There are GH2 example videos on my website, and many, many more online, especially on Vimeo.com

thanks there Peter....well what i want to hear are concrete, specific ways or proof of how the 4/3rds image or Canon is better.

extra features or opinions are nice to hear, but that really isn't going to change my opinion until i hear and see real reasons of how one image is superior to the other, in order to change my mind.

Hey Kyle,

(actually hello everyone, this is my first post on Cinematography.com but I've been reading for a few weeks now)

I am pretty much in the same boat as you at this point, so I am interested if anyone has any unique input in the 60d vs. GH2 debate. I am inclined to steer away from the GH2 if for no other reason than the size. I can't really imagine using such a small camera to seriously shoot without a ton of rigging.

You may want to check out dpreview.com if you haven't already. They have in-depth reviews on all of the cameras which break down every aspect in great detail. It tends to have the still photographer in mind, but the cameras are after all still cameras.

Has anyone any experience using Canon FD lenses on the GH2? I understand that on EOS cameras they can't focus to infinity without an adaptor that has its own optics, is it the same for the m4/3 cameras?

Daniel

I have both a 60d and a GH2. The GH2 image is much sharper and doesn't have the aliasing issues that the canon's have. While The video is definitely better form the gh2, I'm not happy with lens selection, ergonomics, and build quality. I think Canon is probably the way to go once the next generation of video DSLR's comes out, but right now the image quality just isn't there. Having said this, I have thought about selling my gh2 several times already because I love using my canon lenses, and the body of the GH2 is too small and toy-like.

It really comes down to:

Do you want a camera with a pretty good image and great built quality/ergonomics?

or

Do you want a camera that wasn't designed very well, but delivers an awesome quality?

I have both a 60d and a GH2. The GH2 image is much sharper and doesn't have the aliasing issues that the canon's have. While The video is definitely better form the gh2, I'm not happy with lens selection, ergonomics, and build quality. I think Canon is probably the way to go once the next generation of video DSLR's comes out, but right now the image quality just isn't there. Having said this, I have thought about selling my gh2 several times already because I love using my canon lenses, and the body of the GH2 is too small and toy-like.

It really comes down to:

Do you want a camera with a pretty good image and great built quality/ergonomics?

or

Do you want a camera that wasn't designed very well, but delivers an awesome quality?

well then if i understand you right, unlike most all reviews i've read your saying the GH-2 video quality is therefore superior to the 7D as well?

because the 60D has the same video quality as the T2i & 7D, not counting the limited ISO stop selections for the T2i. and do you also have a 5D?

well then if i understand you right, unlike most all reviews i've read your saying the GH-2 video quality is therefore superior to the 7D as well?

because the 60D has the same video quality as the T2i & 7D, not counting the limited ISO stop selections for the T2i. and do you also have a 5D?

Yes, the GH2 image quality is superior to all canon DSLR's at the current time.