KODAK 5230 500T

I visited the KODAK website yesterday and learned that the 5230/7230 filmstock is now available in 35/16. I called KODAK and spoke to a customer sevice rep that gave me pricing info.

I cannot find any info that seperates this filmstock from 5219,5229 or 5260, regarding image quality. It is cheaper than 5219. It IS NOT a member of the VISION3 family. I have yet to hear from my KODAK sales rep. Does anyone have anymore info? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Kodak is sending me two rolls to put against a '19 project we're doing this coming week. I'll gladly report on my findings as soon as the sans get back. As it's been explained to me, it's a hybrid of '19 and '18, which is great, because '18 was a favorite of mine, with more texture than the new stuff. We'll see. Grabs maybe.

The way it was explained to me it is a successor to '60 or '80, the discount 500T option that had mimicked '79 more than '18 in its characteristics.

So finer grain, not certain but pretty sure a reduction in contrast if working photo-chemically.

Personally, I'd be more interested in the percentage cost savings over '19.

I visited the KODAK website yesterday and learned that the 5230/7230 filmstock is now available in 35/16. I called KODAK and spoke to a customer sevice rep that gave me pricing info.

I cannot find any info that seperates this filmstock from 5219,5229 or 5260, regarding image quality. It is cheaper than 5219. It IS NOT a member of the VISION3 family. I have yet to hear from my KODAK sales rep. Does anyone have anymore info? Thanks.

Just shot my first 35mm feature on this stock - pushed two stops rated at 1200.....what would you like to know?

Just shot my first 35mm feature on this stock - pushed two stops rated at 1200.....what would you like to know?

how was the grain at that speed? what format did you shoot; 4,3,2 perf? can you post some stills?

how was the grain at that speed? what format did you shoot; 4,3,2 perf? can you post some stills?

Grain is definitely prevalent - more so than our tests of 5219 pushed two stop. Still we were shooting a horror film so I wanted more grain. Regardless, it was still very pleasing to me even at two stops pushed. Higher key scenes the grain wasn't even that bad tell you the truth. Colors are definitely more vibrant than 5219. Sorry, can't post stills...it is being released in October though! If I get the OK I will post.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Kodak a while back, a rep called me and explained the difference 5230 aimed at TV shooters, and you'd see the difference on the big screen but not on TV, with 5219 having better grain and better shadows.