Looking for the best versatile cinema lens for my HDSLR

Andy Joesoef

Hi everyone

I have a Canon 550D DSLR and have been experimenting a lot with it shooting HD video. The lens that I start with is 18-55mm EF-S that comes with it which is not so great. I also have an old 50mm f/1.4 nikkor with adapter, tamron 11-18mm super wide aspherical, and 50mm f/1.8 nikkor. They are pretty decent lenses but I find 50mm too narrow for my taste/style So my next step is to get a nicer and better lens. I have been looking and my choices are the 28mm f/1.8, 17-55mm f/2.8, and 35mm f/2.0 all canon. I'm into wes anderson style flat wide angle shots and even with my 18-55 f/3.5 I rarely zoom in to bigger focal length because I can't get to f/3.5. I also heard that prime lenses are usually sharper and better due to the fewer elements. I want a faster, versatile, and sharp lens but I won't shell extra bucks to get zeiss until I get myself a 5D Mark II. What would you suggest ?

Thanks! ;)

• Premium Member

I did forget to mention the budget my bad :P Basically not more than $1500 and if I can get 2 lens for about that price that would even be more awesome

That is more than enough to buy a couple of top quality still lenses but not enough for cinema lenses. My "walkaround" lens is the Canon EF-S 17mm-55mm F2.8 IS (around $1K US). Fast with great optical quality but it doesn't have cinema style focus and iris rings. I've read that the Sigma 85mm lens is good on a Canon HDSLR but don't have personal experience. The only negative thing I know of about the 17-55mm is its rumored tendency to pick up dust. I keep a baggy on mine at all times, on and off my 7D, except when shooting and it's still as clean as the day I bought it. Its image stabilization is phenomenal, I've shot video from a helicopter that looks a lot better than any $1400 camera with a $1000 lens on it has any right to look.

Edited by Hal Smith