Smallville "Kent"

Smallville is The Ultimate Series Experience I've ever encountered. By far, my all-time favorite show. It got me through high school and followed me through college and I've grown up with these beautifully realized characters. I am so proud of this show and all the love and dedication put into every season for the past 10 years. Smallville lifted the spirits of the world only a little over a month after September 11, 2001 claimed thousands of lives. The writing, production value, and character development is why so many have remained faithful. It is going to be difficult to say goodbye but I couldn't be happier that the series' story arc and resolution seem to have been so well thought out and deliberately planned. Glen Winter, I want to thank you personally for such beautiful work all these years. I love your desire to be bold and take chances, to be bigger than TV because for me, it has all paid off. Smallville has the most dedicated fans because of all your hard work. I am also proud of Tom Welling, he is this generation's Christopher Reeve. Both of them have shown a love and respect for the Superman Mythos. Smallville has joined that long history that is Superman and will inspire the next generation to tell the next chapter in the Superman Legacy.

post-781-0-66175200-1303107207.jpg

These screen captures are from the April 15th episode "Kent". I loved the contrast between the two dimensions. The bleach bypassed look; bleak, cold and grainy feel was in perfect opposition to Clark's normally warm and saturated world. I wondered if the look was achieved by playing around with the Genesis camera and in post, or actually shot on film? I also wondered if Glen has been asked to utilize the entire frame for composition yet or taken the liberty to do so for the last few remaining episodes? With only 3 episodes left until the 2 hour series finale, I wouldn't want any of you to miss how it all turns out! New episodes air every Friday at 8pm on the CW until the finale on May 13, 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV7ttZueyq8

• 4 weeks later...

I was blown away by the finale. It was a great send off and brought a real sense of closure to an epic story, ten years in the making. It was extremely statisfying in that it didn't feel like an ending but a beginning. There were so many great moments in the finale where each character got to have their poper send off. The moments in between moments, that Smallville is famous for, where no dialogue is said and the characters are allowed to just live. I loved the scene with Clark reading Lois' vows moving around them at the door in their apartment. And that theme continued, in one scene in particular at the Daily Planet when they were listening at the radio, the 360 degree sweep around all the commotion created from one beautiful master shot. The scene between Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling was epic, it felt great to see them jump right back into it. It felt right to have Lex back for the finale. The scene at the barn with Clark and his parents was touching and great to see. Chloe will always be my favorite thing to come out of Smallville. Allison Mack's perfomance was always so strong. She was the perfect sidekick and most loyal friend to Clark. The scene at the Fortress of Solitude was wonderfully cinematic. The last five minutes of the show were so absolutely perfect. The effects were all well executed. The scene with Chloe at the end, reading a bedtime story to her son was perfectly captured. The lighting evoking the magic of the late Geoffrey Unsworth. In their final scene it was great to see, Erica Durance and Tom Welling embrace Lois and Clark - the icons. The music, lighting, acting, and direction all came together one last time for the finale. It was epic! I couldn't have asked for anything better. Watching the finally was emotional and bitter sweet because it was like saying goodbye to a dear friend who had been part of my life for the past decade. With me through high school and college as I became a man and to finally see Smallville become a (super)man. As satisfied as I was with what I saw I want to thank the cast and crew again for an incredible jouney. I have a few questions for those behind the camera. I would love to hear Glen Winter discuss a few scenes from the finale since he was the director of photography for the entire 2-hour event. I would love to hear in particular his fondest memories and a bit about the last five minutes of the series, what was your inspiration and intentions for the look of this final episode? I also wondered why Clark was never shown in full costume other than in extreme close-ups or as CG in the extreme long shots? Was this a decision by Tom or by director Greg Beeman? I felt it would have been even more satisfing to see him, finally, in full costume not abscured by cut-aways or CG. I also would have loved to see more action shots toward the end or a close-up shot of Superman and the impending planet. All in all this has been an incredible show and I don't believe I will ever see or experience anything like it again. I will be proud to tell my kids that I was alive when this show was on the air.

x1.JPG

Thanks again to Tom Welling for embracing his role in front and behind the camera, without this the show's lasting legacy would not have been possible. And to all the cast and crew my deepest admiration and respect.

x46.JPG

THE MAN WHO HAS HELD IT ALL TOGETHER AND CARRIED IT ON HIS BACK ALL THESE YEARS - DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY GLEN WINTER!!!!!