S-log trial on F3 at NAB

Brian Drysdale

That shoot was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Those guys came up with the idea to shoot something when they saw we had the S-Log upgrade. In a matter of hours they had a bunch of things planned out. Around three o'clock I heard that they were going to walk around the Vegas strip, but come six when the show ended they had arranged a helicopter for dusk and some models for early the next morning. The window we gave them was from 6pm (show close) to 9am (show opens again). They were a little late getting back but all was well in the end. Nuts, really.

Sony "degraded" the camera at the end of the show. It was still Beta-firmware with some functions not yet working fully. The demand has been very heavy and they are rushing to have it available as soon as possible. I don't believe we've set pricing on the upgraded version.

I am very happy with the footage coming out of my F3 to KiPro Mini 4.2.2. Hoping next year the Cinedeck price comes down. Right now, it is a bit high especially considering many Stations want Spots delivered on Beta SP or DVCProHD 720/60.

Edited by David Sellers

Who did/ can do this conversion? Any pics? I am looking for something similar.

I gather there were discussions behind the scenes at NAB about enabling Sony dealers to do this mod. It's an Abel Cine camera, so Mitch may know more detail, but you'd need to be careful about infringing your camera's warranty.

This is a really interesting setup, which could be very useful for lower budget projects. I've read on the sony site that the F3 will have a 1D LUT ability enabled along with the S-Log, but presumably this will only work through the Composite monitor out. Does the Cinedeck support LUTs? Their website is a little short on info

ELEMENT TECHNICA is building those and they (should) be available in 30-45 days. As it stands, it DOES void the warranty, however, they are working with Sony to solve that. Hopefully Sony works with them! I would buy it right now but I am (not) going to void my warranty.

Thanks Dave. You're welcome Dave!

Edited by David Sellers

AbelCine (me in particular) has been been working closely with Element Technica on the development of accessories for the F3. Currently these are prototypes and there will be a few adjustments along the way. We are working with ET & Sony to protect owners. Once we all figure it out we'll let you know. Pricing on these topside accessories as well as the riser with integrated lightweight 15mm rods & shoulder pad will be announced as soon as we lock down the design to determine costs. It's all gonna be really sweet. What ET accessories did for the RED One is what they will do for the F3, even more refined.