Single-8 Sources?

Ernie Zahn

For Fuji Velvia, Fuji 64T, Fuji Astia 100 and Fuji Astia 400, in single-8 cartridges, the best source is www.retro8.com This shop also sell Orwo black and white film and the classic Fujichrome R25N, poliester based. The processing quality in Retro 8 is absolutaly first class,and, if you wishes, they will return you the film magnetic striped.

For Ektachrome 100, in silent and SOUND single 8 cartridges, the only source is www.reveladoreversible.com . They can push the Ektachrome 1 or 2 stops.

Dose anyone know if Retro8/ Retro Enterprises/ the Japanese postal service is open and operating as usual after last months awful events?

I have some R25n that I'd like to get processed, I'm not in any great rush or anything but just wondering if anyone has used them recently.

I know that this site: http://www.single8film.com/ is bogus and the guy has basically disappeared but aren't there sources out there for Single-8? I thought some place was reproducing Single-8 stocks? And aren't there places that still process it? Or is it absolutely completely dead?

I suppose all outside US sellers have the same problem that their currencies are too espensive in US$

Unfortunately it is difficult to get Japan streetprices on Single-8 material :(

Unless you have a friend there. Real film is still very common in Japan shops.

Even when they are crammed with digital junk :)

In Japan you have Retro8.com The website is sloppy and response is sloooow.

Mr tak is used to selling internationally.

In Germany you have Wittner where you get useful replies even on a sundaymorning.

They are well equipped for international sales, speak and write english. Take Paypal and credicard.

There is also FFR who is more or less a reseller for Retro8.

If you don't mind handwork hobbyism you could also refill used cartridges, Get the long rolls from Wittner.

• 1 month later...

I would also like to know, if single8 rolls can be shipped for processing to retro8 in Japan after the tsunami.

I guess postal service should be fully operative again in Japan, right?

I already lost 2 rolls of processed R25N due to shipping (it's now 11 months that they have sent it back to Italy), and since they did not ship a tracable package, I don't even know if japanese or the italian postservice lost the films.

I know Italian Post is really bad, still this is the first time that I didn't get my things at all, so maybe also Japanese postservice could be the problem.

Anybody knows the reputation of the japanese postservices?

I still have 10 rolls with processing at retro8 and don't dare to use them.

The materials I lost were rather important, it was a teaser trailer for a “bigger“ project, that I shot in Iceland (so it can't be redone)....

daniel

I shipped an Ebay item to Japan, they attempted delivery the day before the earthquake, but the buyer wasn't home. The day after the earthquake it was delivered. So I would say yes, the Japan post system is fine. Japanese persevere though the most devestating events, by carrying on with normal daily activities.

I would also like to know, if single8 rolls can be shipped for processing to retro8 in Japan after the tsunami.

I guess postal service should be fully operative again in Japan, right?

I already lost 2 rolls of processed R25N due to shipping (it's now 11 months that they have sent it back to Italy), and since they did not ship a tracable package, I don't even know if japanese or the italian postservice lost the films.

I know Italian Post is really bad, still this is the first time that I didn't get my things at all, so maybe also Japanese postservice could be the problem.

Anybody knows the reputation of the japanese postservices?

I still have 10 rolls with processing at retro8 and don't dare to use them.

The materials I lost were rather important, it was a teaser trailer for a "bigger" project, that I shot in Iceland (so it can't be redone)....

daniel

Tokyo wasn't involved in the quake or tsunami. I doubt they lost more than one day in time due to quake precautions.

Parcels from Japan get to Netherlands 5 days even on cheapest postal transport.

Your items are lost. . Only the shipper can enquire so ask mr Tak to enquire with Japan post. Possibly they can wake up Italian post.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

unfortunately mr. Tak has no tracking number and could not help me, he only could tell me the date the films were shipped.

I guess the films are definitely lost.

Bad thing that after this has happened, I feel very uneasy in shooting anything serious on single8 anymore.

Then again a friend of mine also newer got his super8 Rolls back from Andec Film, this would make super8 also rather unsafe...

maybe I should yust leave Italy and find a place where you can trust the post service :-(

Thanks,

unfortunately mr. Tak has no tracking number and could not help me, he only could tell me the date the films were shipped.

I guess the films are definitely lost.

Bad thing that after this has happened, I feel very uneasy in shooting anything serious on single8 anymore.

Then again a friend of mine also newer got his super8 Rolls back from Andec Film, this would make super8 also rather unsafe...

maybe I should yust leave Italy and find a place where you can trust the post service :-(

Or don't use the Postal service for valueable stuff... Use UPS or something like them. It will be more expensive but if you have several films in a box it may be not too costly. Last december I shipped 10 kodachromes through UPS per piece alsmost the same as a single film in the post. :)

BTW You could collect a number of used Single-8 cartridges (from Retro8, super-8.nl who else) and fill these with 12meter of film yourself. Long rolls plenty available from Wittner. Then have these processed at this italian Rome lab... Or Wittner/ANdec. That should reduce the risk (and costs per minute). You could even take out the film yourself and send it in on reels in bags.

A reloadable Single8 cartige would be usefull indeed.

For now I will have my films shipped in future to a friend in austria.

This way it will take longer to get them but I should get them at least. I will also ask next time to have shipped the films with a tracking number.

daniel

If you need empty carts there was a guy on ebay selling 30yr old r25n. I'm pretty sure the film will be useless but it should be easy enough to remove it and use the empty cartridge.

I know what you mean about being unsure about continuing with single8. I've always wanted a ZC1000 and recently passed up the opportunity to buy one for under £100 as I'm concerned about sending r25n and rt200 to Japan and I'm not really interested in the other films that are available as I can always get those as super8 or 16mm.

Maybe I'd change my mined if Retro8 went ahead with their plans to exclusively release the Fuji 400asa colour reversal film as single8 but apparently there's lots of politics with Fuji that won't allow them to do this :(

Single-8 is still a viable and fun format to use, and virtually compatible with Super 8mm, especially if using the reloaded Super 8 acetate based filmstocks. The reloading of bulk film allows virtually any existing Super 8 filmstock to be custom reloaded into the Single-8 cartridge; either by a lab or by an individual. The drawback to reloaded acetate filmstock is the shorter length; 40 feet (12m) versus the original FUJI FujiChrome R25 and RT200 lengths of 50 feet (15m). Living with the shorter length hasn't detered those that know the fun of these cameras and the advantages; such as full film rewind for special effects, split-screens, titling, double-exposures etc.....and the steady even image registration. Many of the cameras, especially later ones are fun to work with. I love the very tiny FUJI P-2 which fits in a pocket for on go filming, and various models inbetween all the way up to the full featured lens interchangeable FUJICA ZC-1000.

While there are two main problems these days:

[1]. The shorter filmlength of about 40 feet (12m) when using the various acetate reloaded Super 8mm filmstocks. But ask anyone using these cameras and this format and they will tell you that it's still worth doing.

[2]. And the larger problem, film processing. This mainly affects the original FUJI FujiChrome R25(n) and RT200(n) films, since the main service for them is in Japan. ALl other reloaded Super 8mm stocks can and should be easily processed by any lab doing Super 8mm films. The filmmaker could also send them the film from the cartridge in a lab bag or filmcan properly labeled if they are doing their own reloading of the bulk filmstock. So, it would just be proper communication with whatever lab you wish to use in getting the film processed and the cartridge returned to you afterward with the film.

I don't normally pipe in here about myself, but I have been processing still and movie films since 1974, and here in Plattsburgh, NY since 1990. Being a small custom lab, I also process the Single-8 FUJI R25 & RT200 and reloaded films, in addition to Super 8mm, Double 8mm, Double Super 8mm, 9.5mm and some 16mm. And think about it, IF those using 9.5mm filmstock which have to put up with much greater limitations than any other format these days, a little patience in using Single-8 pays off in its own way. The new Single-System Sound film from Spain is another current innovation showing that there is continuing support for FUJI's baby. I say, if the camera has what you need and you can work with the filmstocks offered, go ahead and use whatever format it is you feel you'd like to work with. At the very least, it's worth a try to find out what works well and what doesn't.