slow motion on dlsr

Juan Pablo Ramirez

Sorry; that high of an FPS is where the big boys play; a'la the mentioned Phantom..... even the RED tops out at 120fps.

Very true.

more like a high speed 7D

Try the Casio EX-F1. It's not quite high definition, but talent beats pixels any day.

You may achieve high speed photography with the following parameters:

300FPS at 512X384 pixels

600FPS at 432X192 pixels

1200 FPS at 336X96 pixels

I don't even think this is "prosumer", and professional high speed digital photography is limited to the Phantom family, as described by Adrian.

• Premium Member

There is some Sony handycam that does 300fps. Can't remember the model number. It really does do 300 real frames per second for a brief period, but the quality is... feeble, frankly.

There are other companies, such as Redlake, who make high speed cameras. Mainly they're repurposed machine vision and scientific cameras, which is where Vision Research came from originally, hence the name. I've not seen one that was as good as some of the Phantom stuff and I suspect it'd be ergonomically a bit iffy, probably requiring a computer-based host system, but it would be usable with care and I suspect they'd handily undercut Vision Research.

Twixtor (and other motion compensated interpolators) can be extremely successful on certain subjects and fail hard on others; if it's possible to design your shot around what it will and will not cope with, results can be good.

P