• Premium Member

1. None, really. Director of Photography is what the union calls it, probably because it seems to sound more important -- it also suggests (correctly) that the DP "directs" other departments (in this case, Camera, Grip, and Electric.)

The words are used interchangeably. I'm certainly proud to call myself either.

2. It's the first consumer DV camera to offer 24 fps progressive scan capture, seen as a major step towards achieving a "film look." It has has the most extensive gamma adjustment options of any consumer camera. The new "A" version has a few more features, such as gain adjustment, color bars, and auto focus while shooting progressive scan, plus another gamma table option.

Guest Ultra Definition

DVX does not have interchangable lenses. It has very wide DOF which makes the picture look vidoeish (I guess I just made up a new term -- and I like it).

If you look at some at the foreign flics, the DP is sometimes referred to merely as a photographer. That's what he is -- a motion picture photographer.

Would you rate it better than the XL1S then I guess.

Obviuosly I would without doubt rather work in film than video and I would relish the chance to experiment with film had I got the dosh. People are always trying to make video look like film but why not try to give it it's own aesthetic rather than trying to imitate film. Just a thought. Anyone know of any good filters I can download for After Effects 5.5 for free?

Guest Ultra Definition

In the low cost pro range DVX100A is the best, but for low light Sony PS170 is better. The Canon will be replaced; probably this year, with a new model, most likely with HDV format. Wait for April 17, when NAB show starts.