bolex anamorphot

kevin jackman

• Premium Member

Yeah! Any of them. The original Bolex anamorphic lenses came from german lens manufacturer Moeller, Wedel and are mainly 1.5 in compression. The 2x does exist but is very rare. If you want 2x compression you might want a Kowa 16H/8Z. Examples: This is the 1.5x on a S16 Bolex and here is a 2x on a Rex 4.

Isnt the kowa a projector lens? I would have thought the bolex version would fit my bolex better, have better optics, easier to use. but opinions would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to try and have the most hassle free anamorphic setup. So the 1.5 is a ratio of 1.995?

• Premium Member

All the Moeller lenses are attachments. The Möller 2x is the same design as the Kowa 16D so i would say that they pretty much ARE projection lenses. You are correct regarding the 1,5. It creates a 1:2 aspect ratio. These lenses will not be hassle free but they do a good job for the money. Try even getting a good ISCO lens now for well under 2000 $. If you don't want anamorphic 16mm projection i would just forget about it and crop.

All the Moeller lenses are attachments. The Möller 2x is the same design as the Kowa 16D so i would say that they pretty much ARE projection lenses. You are correct regarding the 1,5. It creates a 1:2 aspect ratio. These lenses will not be hassle free but they do a good job for the money. Try even getting a good ISCO lens now for well under 2000 $. If you don't want anamorphic 16mm projection i would just forget about it and crop.

I think I like the idea of the Bolex lens because it comes in a frame that screws into the c mount. Im guessing any other lens would need fabrication to build an attachment to fit to the camera. I am curious about sharpness and quality when using these lenses and I dont even know if they will work with the preset switars. There is so much I dont know!

• Premium Member

The Moeller lenses which are the ones made for Bolex don't screw into the c-mount. They are placed loosely in front of the taking lens (Switars above 25mm) with a special holder. The original holder that screws in the remaining two lens threads is very hard to find. You can mount the anamorphic lens on rods also. There is a taking lens in the c-mount of the camera and the squeeze lens in front of that. Both lenses have to be in focus in case of the Moeller or Kowas. On other lens designs like Iscorama, Hawk or Lomo where only one lens needs focusing.

• Upvote 1

Holder is the word I was looking for. I wonder what the video anamorphic lenses are like in terms of quality and sharpness. would a behind the lens anamorphic make it so focus issues arent a problem? sorry for the questions i just have no idea about this.theres a 2x anamorphot for sale, not sure if the holder is there or if i should get it. the money is sounding a bit high.

• Premium Member

My anamorphic 8mm set-up:

post-46614-0-90910500-1306133866.jpg

The 16mm anamorphic projection lens is supported by a home-made ring attached to a rod base I got with another camera (a Pentaflex 8). Same principle can be applied to 16mm cameras.

Martin Baumgarten has a good webpage describing relatively cheap anamorphic lens options for small formats:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/anamorphic.html

Yes its mine, I currently use it on OM Zuiko lenses on a Dslr (its attached to one in the photo).

There are 16mm and 8mm versions of this lens, this one is the 16mm.

Its a brilliant lens to use, produces an image thats as sharp as the taking lens.

Pm me for anymore details.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I am currently using the Bolex kit as shown above. I find it very straight forward to use on my RX5 with 13x viewfinder. I have the anamorphic matched to the 26mm f1.1 marco switar. I decided going down this path to avoid some of the problems associated with super 16 conversion. Keep look at ebay, they do pop up.

regards

john Paul Urizar

www.johnpaulurizar.com.au

• 1 month later...

Here is what I'm working on. It's an Elmoscope. I have been told that it is a re-branded Kiowa, but I really don't know. I bought it at an antique shop for $30. The rail and the Support were made, mostly with my table saw ( very carefully), from $25 of aluminum and stainless from the scrap yard. It's my knock off of the Bolex "Light Bench" My father in law machined a 50.5mm to 55mm step up ring. Next is a double threaded polarizer with the glass out to allow focusing. finally, a 55mm to series VI ( or V, I can't remember). I guess my point is that with a little messing around, the thing can be done on the cheap. As it stands right know the thing weighs a ton. after I get the kinks out, I'll start shaving down the metal, change somethings to plastic and Carbon fiber.

Good luck with you Project

Andrew

post-44294-0-43977100-1327608761.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big up!

I'm shooting in 16mm with my bolex for a while now but I just discover anamorphot lensand it really looks beautiful...

So right now I can't live more without testing anamorphot sensations!

Do you know where I can provide any Anamorphot setup for my camera? If anyone reading this topic sell some feel free to get in touch... :)

Is the projection lens solution a really good solution? I guess it's cheaper but what about the quality?

Thanks for helping.

Q.

Big up!

I'm shooting in 16mm with my bolex for a while now but I just discover anamorphot lensand it really looks beautiful...

So right now I can't live more without testing anamorphot sensations!

Do you know where I can provide any Anamorphot setup for my camera? If anyone reading this topic sell some feel free to get in touch... :)

Is the projection lens solution a really good solution? I guess it's cheaper but what about the quality?

Thanks for helping.

Q.

PM sent

• 1 month later...

Just going to jump into this thread rather than start another. Looking to buy an anamorphic lens but the moellers seem to be hard to come by.

Right now for sale here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Rectimascope&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=16mm+anamorphic&_sacat=0

There's a Bell and Howell lens, a scope lens adaptor, a very expensive panavision one (probs not that to start), and a fumeo lens.

Which would you guys recommend. Could I just go ahead with the scope lens adaptor - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16MM-LENS-ANAMORPHIC-SCOPE-LENS-ADAPTORS-FOR-EIKI-ELMO-BELL-HOWELL-/200909673472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec7265400

Edit: or, just noticed this Kowa 8Z lens, would that be fine to get started with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kowa-8Z-Anamorphic-Cinemascope-Lens-/140939821797?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item20d0ab02e5

Edited by Alex Flowers

• 3 weeks later...

ive used a bunch of projection adapters. the issues are:

you have to focus both lenses. but once you learn to do this fast and tack sharp you will be a cheetah with your sphericals.

what is the min focal dist of the adapter? some as low as 8ft. some only 18ft

will you need to add diopter to drop min fd? see above

what is the min useable focal length of the camera lens in conjunction with the adapter without vignetting? depends on the size and design of the adapter. often 40-50mm for avg 16mm gate. little secret... get a doubler. seems to drop the min fl well below half. so if you are 50mm stnd spher thru the anamorphic and you add a doubler i have experienced a drop all the way down to 15mm. not the expected 25mm. (and note this is my direct experience canon and fujinons with built in 2x's but dont yell at me if you spend $400 on a mutar and this doesnt work . this stuff is trial and error) also see next issue

chromatic aberrations form capturing thru all the extra glass? likely. but some add to the look i believe. some are ugly.

i love what ive trained my eyes to see from all the experimenting. if youre looking to spend some quality time with your gear you can def do it in this catagory! its really a matter of what your taste and tolerance can handle. otherwise it becomes clear why even old internally matched anamorphic taking lenses cost a small deficit.

Edited by steve waschka

The Kowa 8Z is intended for both photography and projection. It has a fairly large rear element, 49mm., so will work at shorter focal lengths than some smaller lenses.

I have one. PM me if interested.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 1 month later...