Bizarre filters

Hi!

Was shoting a simple music video for a competition last week and director showed me some very bizarre filters he found in a storage room at his work. They measured 4' x 3.5' and came in various deep colours like yellow, blue, purple etc. but the key was - the reflections in these filters appeared to have all sorts of colours from blue to green on the yellow filter, magenta on the red etc...

Here is a sample picture taken with the yellow filter at 45 degrees:

picture19s.png

If anyone can help to figure out what are these filters, would be amazing :)

Thanks a lot!

I dunno, to me it looks kinda like a Hot Mirror, covering half the lens and swung away from the lens to reflect the male figure who's standing to the side of the camera, creating a trippy double exposure type effect. Which is why he appears soft with the evidence of a slight double reflection coming from the outer and inner panes of the filter itself.

I have a Red/Green polarizer that I've used to shoot stills with...and I long for the day where I'll be able to use in on a shoot:

Playground fence (Larkin & Broadway) #2

Somewhere on Hyde St. #2

Larkin & Lombard #1

Oh, didn't realize you'd captioned the photo, saying it was a yellow filter at 45 degree angle...at least I sorta guessed right ;)

It appears to have a dichroic effect, you may be on to something.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you put a filter on a 45 degree angle? Is this done in a matte box? I could imagine doing it for a horizontal split in a special tray, but for the vertical split like Edgar posted originally, I'm at a loss for how one would do that.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you put a filter on a 45 degree angle? Is this done in a matte box? I could imagine doing it for a horizontal split in a special tray, but for the vertical split like Edgar posted originally, I'm at a loss for how one would do that.

Hi Eric, in this particular instance it was a hand-rig. Left one :)

Hi Eric, in this particular instance it was a hand-rig. Left one :)

Ha, that was the mental solution I had in mind for that, but I wondered if perhaps there was a Matte Box stage I was unfamiliar with that achieved it.

So I'm guessing an operator, 1st AC pulling focus, and a 2nd holding the filter? Hope you guys weren't handheld and walking around much!

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry rig ;)

Or perhaps afixing a swing-away mattebox at an angle, then cutting/killing/masking off half of the reflected image with some black tape (not ON the filter, but along the mattebox), revealing the subject in front of the lens :)