5D into a Ki Pro?

Frank DiBugnara

Since I had such a good experience with the AF-100 into a Ki-Pro, I'm wondering if anyone has done this with the 5D?

We've known that the weak link in the 5D is the H264 internal recording. Would HDMI into the Ki Pro and cropping out the camera data in the black areas yield a clean 1080 recording in the Ki Pro? The 5D could not be recording, of course, as it switches into SD output as soon is it is recording to its own card internally.

I thought all the overlay information was in the black area on the top and bottom, if I'm not mistaken. I believe there are options to get a clean image out. If that's the case, it would obviously be easy to crop out the top and bottom black areas.

In regards to 4:1 issue, I'm wondering if this is simply in place as a way to take the native resolution of the sensor (by "native" I mean the resolution used in still mode) and down-sample to 1080. If that is the case, then the 5D is delivering a true 1080 signal, right? The sensor is natively much higher resolution than 1080, so it needs to down res somehow. Is the 4:1 issue the way they do it?

• Premium Member

The down res is very nasty; it causes all kinds of unpleasant artefacts.

The 16:9 area of the image doesn't fill the HDMI output, so you lose resolution again.

It's not worth it. It may be worth it on a Panasonic GH2.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Err... maybe because the F3 costs 5X what a 5D costs?

Hmm yeah, there are lower end Sony and Panasonic cameras with great functionality and sensor size that are going around close to the 5D, but the data rate is still significantly low and with similar compression. I guess this is the camera manufacturer's trying to create a fine line between professional and amateur productions.

Edited by Marcus Joseph