Film is dead

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/2362810664.html

for weeks I have been trying to sell 2 rolls of 16mm single perf...the reponse? nothing.... someone telling me... dude I thought you were a film guy....

I am, but also digital, but also clay.... and flesh and photos and what ever helps me tell a story

No offers... nothing.... for stock that a year ago it will cost me 250 or more..... ladies and gents, Film is dead.... enjoy your dhslrs

Best

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pho/2362810664.html

for weeks I have been trying to sell 2 rolls of 16mm single perf...the reponse? nothing.... someone telling me... dude I thought you were a film guy....

I am, but also digital, but also clay.... and flesh and photos and what ever helps me tell a story

No offers... nothing.... for stock that a year ago it will cost me 250 or more..... ladies and gents, Film is dead.... enjoy your dhslrs

Best

Funny, a friend saw the ad and actually was really thinking about contacting you.

• Premium Member

It's more that people dont want to trust used film and no one has any money these days.

DSLR's are junk so it's hard to enjoy them.. I gave up on that one. ;) Though I just finished a long F3 shoot and actually was impressed.

Are you still LA based? We should try to meet up sometime.

You know whats funny. I just got over 8000 feet of short-ends (a lot of full cans) from THE FIGHTER. I too believe that DSLRS are junk. People spend so much money in attempts to make them "LIKE" film cameras, when I'd rather (as a DP) simply just purchase a nice set of PL's and rent a camera of choice. Except for the high-end digital, I dislike the dslr, iphone camera, flip video age. I recently saw the Nokia N8 CELL PHONE rigged to an expensive jib/crane rig. Even as a young filmmaker that type of thing doesn't sit well with me.

Vincent, I'm LA based and down to link up if your interested.

www.inairfilms.com

post-43919-0-77410300-1305189311.jpg

It's more that people dont want to trust used film and no one has any money these days.

DSLR's are junk so it's hard to enjoy them.. I gave up on that one. ;) Though I just finished a long F3 shoot and actually was impressed.

Are you still LA based? We should try to meet up sometime.

It might be, regardless this whole film vs digital, ends up in the numbers.... and actual production. I directed a feature entirely with Canon 5Ds and 7Ds.... not a problem, not a glitch... is it 16mm or 35mm? nop, but the movie is done and we are happily editing and working to get it distributed..... you tell me

ps: I did send you an email... we should meet up.

You know whats funny. I just got over 8000 feet of short-ends (a lot of full cans) from THE FIGHTER. I too believe that DSLRS are junk. People spend so much money in attempts to make them "LIKE" film cameras, when I'd rather (as a DP) simply just purchase a nice set of PL's and rent a camera of choice. Except for the high-end digital, I dislike the dslr, iphone camera, flip video age. I recently saw the Nokia N8 CELL PHONE rigged to an expensive jib/crane rig. Even as a young filmmaker that type of thing doesn't sit well with me.

Vincent, I'm LA based and down to link up if your interested.

www.inairfilms.com

Anthony I found that very lovely... but again is in the numbers, sadly. I had a full on Super 16 rig... I got to use it only 6 times. 6500 dollars later and broke. I bough a Canon 5D and partner with several DPs friends of mine to get things done. I'm proud to say I'm an indie filmmaker and I don't to show off that I'm shooting my film on film to make sure that I can tell a story and get the thing sold. I'm proud truly proud to say that.

Now would I wish that I can shoot my films on Film> of course! but the reality to be able to approach the dream, success or what ever you want to call it and confronting the silly illusion of the Hollywood Glamour is what is pushing people to make films with those "junky" cameras.......

I actually disagree, 100% with you. Thanks to those imitations I'm able to get pretty darn close to the look I want and allows me to get things done in the time that I expect to be done. Now, again do I want better aesthetics... always.... but in the time been, and with 17 years working my ass off to get to where I want... i will stick to making the best with what I got.. and so far it has been working extremely well

Thanks

I did put it here before craigslist! and I can't wait a month my friend..... you know how many filmmakers... people non the less live by "I was going to" or I though of" instead of just doing? plenty... it aint original... and definitely not smart.

thanks for the inquiry

You sure are right. Hep cats get with the New Thing and it's only about 70k for an Epic with some lenses. Pocket change for that bllionaire daughter girlfriend.

Only old rejects want to shoot film. You should sell it cheap if you still have it.

Say, what kind is it? How much you want for it? Storage history?

:rolleyes:

I've shot Digital and HD DSLR PLENTY of times...and yes mostly due to budget constraints.

My only quarrel with the whole "film is dead" argument is this:

I've seen TONS of people (some just merely picking dslr up for fun) just taking the cameras straight out of the box and shooting. And making a ton of money. People that just want to film a birthday party or a sweet sixteen, etc. Good for them if they're able to do it, but at what point do you separate professionals from them. Even though the more skilled and knowledgeable filmmakers know how to maximize 5D and 7D. I've worked with a few (now, big-time directors that shall remain nameless) that have absolutely NO real vision at all, but since they were able to go the nearest camera store, buy a 5D or 7D and shoot (right out of the box) with it.

Now the internet and other outlet are cluttered with garbage that we are bombarded with daily just because someone put away a few grand and decided to call themselves a DP the next day.

And though I don't always have the budget to shoot on film...I will say that it promotes having an awesome toolbox of knowledge due to the fact that not knowing much can cost you a lot.

Edited by Anthony Brooks

Honestly. you are right.. there is plenty of people that have bypassed the knowledge of film by attaching themselves to digital media... but yet it is a very elities thing to say that.... and this is actualy not my case. If you become to a certain level you will understand that a medium is a medium... the most important thing is to tell a story.

If I had a budget to shoot film will I? of course (I love super 16 above all other formats.... and yes including 65mm) but again I will not think of my visual preference but on the format that is better suited to the story... that creates character, identity and disciplines the identity of the profession.. the rest is all BS....

I've shot Digital and HD DSLR PLENTY of times...and yes mostly due to budget constraints.

My only quarrel with the whole "film is dead" argument is this:

I've seen TONS of people (some just merely picking dslr up for fun) just taking the cameras straight out of the box and shooting. And making a ton of money. People that just want to film a birthday party or a sweet sixteen, etc. Good for them if they're able to do it, but at what point do you separate professionals from them. Even though the more skilled and knowledgeable filmmakers know how to maximize 5D and 7D. I've worked with a few (now, big-time directors that shall remain nameless) that have absolutely NO real vision at all, but since they were able to go the nearest camera store, buy a 5D or 7D and shoot (right out of the box) with it.

Now the internet and other outlet are cluttered with garbage that we are bombarded with daily just because someone put away a few grand and decided to call themselves a DP the next day.

And though I don't always have the budget to shoot on film...I will say that it promotes having an awesome toolbox of knowledge due to the fact that not knowing much can cost you a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The problem is that not every university teaches film like they used to. Unless you are enrolled in a dedicated "film school," most film students' first hands-on exposure to the moving image is usually some sort of video camera. And I'm sorry, but the discipline that is required with film just isn't present in video production. I have people at my school who have never laid hands on a film camera. Video is a totally different mind-set and, unless you learned on film first, different variations of HD video is seen as the only proper medium to go with. And that's a HUGE misconception.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I've been waiting... nada! ;)

And so have I Martin. Please refund the money I gave you for the film. You have ignored every attempt I have made to contact you and now Paypal tells me you have blown them off too. I am sorry to bring this to this site, but this individual (buyer beware) leaves me with no choice. I responded to his plea to sell the film, he took the money and never shipped it or bothered to return a single email or phone call until I got paypal on his case. Another tidbit is that while he was writing on this thread conversing with all of you, I was emailing him about where my film was with no response. So while he was spouting on about this "film is dead" bs, he is scamming me. Again, I am truly sorry to bring this here to this site. I held off doing so, but now that Paypal has told me that he has ignored them as well, I think that all of you should know what sort of person he is. He never answered a single question directly and spoke like a used car salesman; showering me with concern that our transaction went smoothly until he had the check, then ...nada! (notice the punctuation Martin)

Film will die if you deal with dead beats.

PS - to the site managers. Please don't edit my post or if you must, please let me put something up here to warn folks about this guy

Dead beat??? This money was taken from my account! as many in this site know I have never wrong anyone and I have always paid for materials, gear and so forth very fast!

And yet as I understand his "frustration" this is a misunderstanding (I yet have to prove that because the money was taken from my account as I show here)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18373832@N00/5832378417/

@Chris do you think that I will try to burn my career and my reputation for a 100 bucks? and you call me names when I have sent you proof of what I got from my paypal? instead of saying dude there is a problem....... classy, very classy.

To my cinematography.com fam... I apologize for this private issue and rest assured that like my past deals with anyone this will be resolved very shortly.

Thanks

And so have I Martin. Please refund the money I gave you for the film. You have ignored every attempt I have made to contact you and now Paypal tells me you have blown them off too. I am sorry to bring this to this site, but this individual (buyer beware) leaves me with no choice. I responded to his plea to sell the film, he took the money and never shipped it or bothered to return a single email or phone call until I got paypal on his case. Another tidbit is that while he was writing on this thread conversing with all of you, I was emailing him about where my film was with no response. So while he was spouting on about this "film is dead" bs, he is scamming me. Again, I am truly sorry to bring this here to this site. I held off doing so, but now that Paypal has told me that he has ignored them as well, I think that all of you should know what sort of person he is. He never answered a single question directly and spoke like a used car salesman; showering me with concern that our transaction went smoothly until he had the check, then ...nada! (notice the punctuation Martin)

Film will die if you deal with dead beats.

PS - to the site managers. Please don't edit my post or if you must, please let me put something up here to warn folks about this guy

As I checked out, Paypal already made a refund to this gentleman who instead of checking his PayPal account he decided to lash out at me.

Paypal will issue 2 letters of apology, one to Chris and one to me just in case their delay affected any of our bank accounts.... if anyone (specially the people running this forum) need or want any information I will happy to provide it.

In the meantime I want to thank Chris Burke for being such a classy, negligent, guy that before sending this angry response he should have checked his account.....

(this is the second time calling Paypal to make sure the payment went through and it did... just so you guys know and a get clue of what really is going here)

ps to the dumbass: Paypal takes time to refund money... so you better take all this crap back. Specially the car salesman poop.... I don't use people and most definitely, I don't and I haven't scam anyone in my life....NEVER, you prick.

Edited by Martín Yernazian

@ Chris... this is from Paypal.....

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support.

We have received a request from Mr. Yernazian to verify the refund of

the payment of $100.00 for the transaction that was made recently. The

refund was made and has gone through as of today, June 14, 2011. The

transaction ID for the refund is 3FH24068N3583621B and can be viewed by

logging into your PayPal account and viewing the transaction history. If

you do not see the refund in your account, I assure you it has been made

by Mr. Yernazian, and you will need to contact us at 1-888-221-1161 to

get the matter resolved. Thank you for your patience in the matter.

Sincerely,

Whitley

PayPal Customer Solutions

PayPal, an eBay Company

maybe you need to open your account or be polite and ask a question before burning someone online..... or you run the risk of looking like an ass.... have a great life

As I checked out, Paypal already made a refund to this gentleman who instead of checking his PayPal account he decided to lash out at me.

Paypal will issue 2 letters of apology, one to Chris and one to me just in case their delay affected any of our bank accounts.... if anyone (specially the people running this forum) need or want any information I will happy to provide it.

In the meantime I want to thank Chris Burke for being such a classy, negligent, guy that before sending this angry response he should have checked his account.....

(this is the second time calling Paypal to make sure the payment went through and it did... just so you guys know and a get clue of what really is going here)

ps to the dumbass: Paypal takes time to refund money... so you better take all this crap back. Specially the car salesman poop.... I don't use people and most definitely, I don't and I haven't scam anyone in my life....NEVER, you prick.

I am sorry it took such action to get you to honor our agreement, but you left me no choice. As I said before, I believe paypal. thank you for finaLLY refunding the money.It wasn't that hard was it. have a nice day.

I honored it the last day we talk which was the second of june.... it took that long for them to make the refund... not me... I posted it right away....

I am sorry it took such action to get you to honor our agreement, but you left me no choice. As I said before, I believe paypal. thank you for finaLLY refunding the money.It wasn't that hard was it. have a nice day.