K-3 super 16mm + 2x anamorphic

Ryan Glover

Hi folks! Got my first two test rolls through my new super 16mm K-3, thought I'd share:

http://http://vimeo.com/23733714

Transferred to 2K Cineform RAW.

Transcoded to Apple ProRes 4444 for cutting/grading - was going for a soft retro look this time.

Camera: Krasnogorsk-3, s16mm, PL mount

Lenses: 35mm, 50mm Lomo 2x anamorphic

Film: Expired Fuji Eterna 250D and Kodak V2 200T

Processing: Niagara Custom Lab

Transfer: Frame Discreet

5574994686_d1aa8efc98_z.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Great work, Ryan!

I was just about to post a few questions on the k-3...

-Did you modify to s16 yourself?

-Is it worth the mod? I've seen some regular 16mm k-3 footage which look great as well.

Great test footage, Ryan!

What is the final calculated aspect ratio, i.e. 16x9 + 2x compression? It is definitely wider than 1:2.4 a la cinemascope.

Thanks! 16x9 x 2 is 3.56:1. What I did here was squeeze down to 2048x576 (3.56:1) then crop the sides to get 1536x576 which is a 2.67:1 image, an aspect I really like.

Great work, Ryan!

I was just about to post a few questions on the k-3...

-Did you modify to s16 yourself?

-Is it worth the mod? I've seen some regular 16mm k-3 footage which look great as well.

Thanks Chris!

I bought the camera with the s16mm gate already installed, same as the PL mount.

I guess it all depends on how important the wider aspect ratio is to you.

It looks rather underexposed to me !

Some shots are for sure, I think most of the neg looked pretty okay though. Maybe my flat grading makes it look under? I was giving all my ratings an extra 2/3rds, maybe next time I'll give them a full stop more.

Thanks to all who gave it a watch!

• Premium Member

Thanks! 16x9 x 2 is 3.56:1. What I did here was squeeze down to 2048x576 (3.56:1) then crop the sides to get 1536x576 which is a 2.67:1 image, an aspect I really like.

Then it isn't necessary to go the S16 route. Or is the image significantly better if you lose the blurry sides?

Then it isn't necessary to go the S16 route. Or is the image significantly better if you lose the blurry sides?

s16 is not necessary for anamorphic, that's true. And the lenses are for 35mm so the edges of the shot are fine. But it does give me a chance to reframe in post, which is helpful because the viewfinder isn't great. But I can easily shoot 16x9 spherical and scope with a super 16mm camera so the versatility is appealing.

That is simply an awesome aspect ratio, Ryan! Call it Super Cinemascope. Are you local to Toronto? You apparently utilized Justin's transfer system (Discrete Frames) here in TO.

Yep, I'm here in Toronto and Frame Discreet did the transfer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...