Short Shot Film on ACL

Jason Hinkle RIP

Well I have been screening this at festivals this past year and now thats finished I've posted the whole movie on YouTube. I previously posted the trailer, but here's the whole thing:

The movie is a short comedy about a guy who doesn't know how to talk to girls. It's my first narrative film, before I've only done music videos. It was shot on Super-16 converted ACL and Nikon lenses. Film processing and transfer was done at Astrolab / Filmworkers in Chicago. I had a lot of technical problems with flickering and lens flares but was able to cover most of it in post.

Any constructive criticism is welcome. Hope you like it!

It was shot on Super-16 converted ACL and Nikon lenses. ...... I had a lot of technical problems with flickering and lens flares but was able to cover most of it in post.

Hey Jason,

A temporary problem with my system meant I could only enjoy the pictures. It's nice looking.

Can you tell us all about the lenses you used? What mount adaptor did you use? Are there inherant problems using these lenses with the redundant image outside the S16 frame? What was giving the flicker problems?

Did you already discuss some of these issues somewhere?

Cheers

Gregg.

I just read the earlier posts about flicker. If Saul Rodger has used the Nikon primes without problems, then logically that factor alone is not the cause. It's an irational leap (a hunch) but is it possible that the different ways that the mirror and shutter are treated in the S16 conversions is a factor. I just recently learned that some people don't modify the shutter or modify the mirror movement at all.

Another thing I wondered about was the reflective quality of the black finish in the ACL/Nikon adaptor. If it's not fully matt. I have a directors finder with a slightly satin finsh on the internals, which reflects noticeably with certain light, made me wonder.

To get rid of the light from the redundant image outside the S16 frame do any of the adaptors have modified shape, grooves cut into the back etc?

Still interested in which lenses were used in Tall Tale Tanner.

Tried emailing Jason with an address from his wensite but it bounced.

Cheers

Gregg

• 1 month later...

Hey Jason,

A temporary problem with my system meant I could only enjoy the pictures. It's nice looking.

Can you tell us all about the lenses you used? What mount adaptor did you use? Are there inherant problems using these lenses with the redundant image outside the S16 frame? What was giving the flicker problems?

Did you already discuss some of these issues somewhere?

Cheers

Gregg.

I used mainly Nikon 28, 50 and 100 lenses. The adapter was a Les Boscher one. I have since sent the camera in and had service which I have been told may have been caused by a timing issue and some type of reflecting from the mirror. I also had the inside of the lens adapter painted flat black (it was silver before). The weird thing is that I had this problem with a bright spot in the center of the image on two different ACL cameras, which makes it suspicious that it was not something related to the lens or adapters. But the flickering only occurred on one of the cameras. Anyway, I'm a bit spooked on using my Nikons anymore, which is a shame but I can seem to get reliable results when testing